The effect of partially stabilized zirconia on the biological properties of HA/HDPE composites in vitro
- 73 Downloads
The effect of partially stabilized zirconia (PSZ) on the biological properties of the hyroxyapatite - high density polyethylene (HA/HDPE) composites was studied by investigating the simultaneous effect of hydroxyapatite and PSZ volume fractions on the in vitro response of human osteoblast cells. The biocompatibility of composite samples with different volume fraction of HA and PSZ powders was assessed by proliferation, alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and cell attachment assays on the osteoblast cell line (G-292) in different time periods. The effect of composites on the behavior of G-292 cells was compared with those of HDPE and TPS (Tissue Culture Poly Styrene as negative control) samples. Results showed a higher proliferation rate of G-292 cells in the presence of composite samples as compared to the HDPE sample after 7 and 14 days of incubation period. ALP production rate in all composite samples was higher than HDPE and TPS samples. The number of adhered cells on the composite samples was higher than the number adhered on the HDPE and TPS samples after the above mentioned incubation periods. These findings indicates that the addition of PSZ does not have any adverse affect on the biocompatibility of HA/HDPE composites. In fact in some experiments PSZ added HA/HDPE composites performed better in proliferation, differentiation and attachment of osteoblastic cells.
KeywordsZirconia Composite Sample High Density Polyethylene HDPE Human Osteoblast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.W. BONFIELD, J. C. BEHIRI, C. DOYLE, J. BOWMAN and J. ABRAM, in “Biomatrials and Biomechnics 1983”, Edited by P. Ducheyne, G. Van der Perre and A.E. Aubert (Elsevier Science Publishers, Amesterdam, 1984) p. 421.Google Scholar
- 20.M. DALBY, L. DI SILVIO, G. W. DAVIES and W. BONFIELD, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 12 (2000) 805.Google Scholar
- 22.M. DALBY, L. DI SILVIO, G. W. DAVIES and W. BONFIELD, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 12 (2000) 805.Google Scholar
- 23.A. M. PPATEL and M. SPECTOR, in “Bioceramics”, edited by J. Wilson, L. L. Hench. and D. Greenspan (Elsevier Science Publishers, 1995, Vol.8) p. 169.Google Scholar
- 26.A. SUDA, T. SATO, A. ISHIKAWA, M. TAKAGI, T. OSANAI, H. KATO and H. ORUI, in “Bioceramics”, edited by J. Wilson, L. L. Hench. and D. Greenspan (Elsevier Science Publishers, 1995, Vol.8) p. 465.Google Scholar