Photoconductive properties of polycrystalline selenium based lateral MISIM photodetectors of high quantum efficiency using different dielectrics as the charge blocking layer
- 86 Downloads
We studied the photoconductive performance of polycrystalline selenium (pc-Se) based photodetectors with a lateral metal–insulator-semiconductor-insulator–metal (MISIM) device structure. The insulator layer is a 10 nm-thick Ga2O3, HfO2, or Al2O3 thin film, and used as a charge blocking layer (CBL) to suppress dark current injected from the Al electrodes. The dark current suppression primarily depends on the barrier height of the junctions between the CBLs and electrodes. The Ga2O3 CBL exhibits a poor dark current suppression compared to the HfO2 and the Al2O3 CBLs because of a lower electron barrier at the cathode. The lateral pc-Se photodetectors exhibit a very high internal photocurrent gain due to Fowler–Nordheim tunneling at relatively low applied voltages. The better crystallinity of pc-Se grains formed on the Ga2O3 CBL leads to a higher photoconversion efficiency for the MISIM-Ga2O3 photodetector. Compared with amorphous Se based lateral MISIM photodetectors, the pc-Se photodetectors demonstrate a uniform and much better photoconductive performance over the visible spectrum.
This work is supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), R.O.C. under the contract number MOST 106-2221-E-009-075-MY2. Technical supports of the National Nano Device Laboratories and Nano Facility Center of National Chiao Tung University are also acknowledged.
- 1.W.D. Park, K. Tanioka, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48, 04C159 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.S.O. Kasap, J.A. Rowlands, J. Mater. Sci. 11, 179 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Imura, K. Kikuchi, K. Miyakawa, H. Ohtake, M. Kubota, T. Nakada, T. Okino, Y. Hirose, Y. Kato, N. Teranishi, in 2014 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEEE, San Francisco, 2014), pp. 4.3.1–4.3.4Google Scholar
- 12.S. Imura, K. Kikuchi, K. Miyakawa, H. Ohtake, M. Kubota, J. Phys: Conf. Ser. 619, 12008 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.S. Imura, K. Kikuchi, K. Miyakawa, H. Ohtake, M. Kubota, T. Okino, Y. Hirose, Y. Kato, N. Teranishi, in 2015 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEEE, Washington, DC, 2015), pp. 30.7.1–30.7.4Google Scholar
- 19.C.Y. Chang, Y.J. Lin, Y.W. Huang, J.Y. Liao, J.S. Lin, F.M. Pan, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 15203 (2018)Google Scholar
- 20.K. Wang, F. Chen, K. W. Shin, N. Allec, K. S. Karim, in Medical Imaging 2010 Physics Medical Imaging, ed. by E. Samei, N. J. Pelc (SPEI, San Diego, 2010), p. 762217Google Scholar
- 30.K. K. Ng, in Complete Guide to Semiconductor Devices, ed. by K. K. Ng, 2nd ed. (Wiley, New Jersey, 2010), pp. 470–474Google Scholar