Effects of α-Al2O3 nanoparticles-doped on microstructure and properties of Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu low-Ag solder
- 145 Downloads
In order to enhance the properties of Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu low-Ag solder, α-Al2O3 nanoparticles with various content (0–0.5 wt%) were successfully doped into the solder paste with a self-designed dispersion step. After comprehensive study of the microstructures and properties of the novel nano-composite solder, several satisfactory modified results can be obtained. For instance, the wettability of solder was greatly improved with trace amount of α-Al2O3 nanoparticles-doped. The superior wettability was achieved by Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu–0.12Al2O3 solder with spreading area approaching to ~ 79 mm2. Detailed thermodynamic and kinetic analysis of how α-Al2O3 nanoparticles promoting the processes of solder wetting and spreading on Cu substrate were given. In addition, the joint soldered with Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu–0.12Al2O3 displayed the highest shear force (57.1 N) with a typical ductile fracture failure mode. This relates to the evidently refined microstructure as well as the well-controlled growth of interfacial Cu6Sn5 IMCs. Corresponding theoretical analysis shows 0.12 wt% Al2O3 nanoparticles-doped can decrease the growth rate constant of interfacial Cu6Sn5 IMCs from 5.08 × 10−10 to 1.71 × 10−10 cm2/s.
This project is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51675269) and the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD).
- 1.V. Eveloy, S. Ganesan, Y. Fukuda, J. Wu, M.G. Pecht, 2005 6th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology (2005), pp. 27–44. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEPT.2005.1564718
- 17.X.L. Qiu, H.M. Wei, Q. Wang, P. He, T.S. Lin, F.J. Lu, Mater. Sci. Technol. 23(1), 20–24 (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.L. Zhang, K.N. Tu, Mater. Sci. Eng. R 82(1), 1–32 (2014)Google Scholar
- 32.J. Xiao, Y. Wan, J. Li, Chin. J. Nonferrous Met. 16(12), 2120–2125 (2016)Google Scholar
- 33.C.J. Lu, Z.Z. Zhang, J.Q. Zhou, S.M. Zhang, Mater. Rev. 21(8), 165–166 (2007)Google Scholar
- 34.R.N. Han, S.B. Xue, Y.H. Hu, Z.Y. Wang, J.Y. Ja, Trans. China Weld. Inst. 33(10), 101–104 (2012)Google Scholar
- 36.Q.J. Zhai, S.K. Guan, Q.Y. Shang, Calphad-Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams & Thermochemistry (Industry Press, Beijing, 1999), p. 142Google Scholar