Effect of co-doped Tb3+ ions on electroluminescence of ZnO:Eu3+ LED
Rare earth (RE) -doped ZnO electroluminescence is worthy of investigation for phosphor-free white light-emitting diodes (LEDs) due to their pure and sharp emissions. Whereas, the low solubility of RE ions in ZnO films is found to hinder the performance of RE-doped ZnO devices. Herein, ZnO:Eu and ZnO:Eu/Tb LEDs were synthesized and the electroluminescence properties were tested. The results show that the emission intensity of ZnO: Eu/Tb LED is 8 times higher than that of ZnO: Eu LED while the input power is smaller when the concentration of terbium is proper. Furthermore, we discussed the excitation mechanism and found that the ratio of the EL intensity of the 5D1 → 7F1 to 5D0 → 7FJ (J=0 − 4) transition increases with increasing Tb doping concentration, which may indicate the possibility of energy transfer from Tb3+ to Eu3+. The results are believed to be an effective strategy to improve the electroluminescence of RE-doped semiconductor for white LEDs.
This work was supported by the Key Laboratory of Luminescence and Optical Information of China in Beijing Jiaotong University with financial aid from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 60977017, 61275058), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2013JBM101), and Beijing Jiaotong University Foundation (S16PD00220).
- 9.D. Chen, Y. Yu, P. Huang et al., Color-tunable luminescence of Eu3+ in LaF3 embedded nanocomposite for light emitting diode. Acta Mater. 58, 3035–3041 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2010.01.035
- 11.J. Yu, L. Zhou, H. Zhang et al., Efficient electroluminescence from new lanthanide (Eu3+, Sm3+) Complexes. Inorg. Chem. 44, 1611–1618 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/ic0485561
- 12.Y. Yang, C. Li, C. Wang et al., Rare-earth doped ZnO Films: a material platform to realize multicolor and near-infrared electroluminescence. Adv. Opt. Mater. 2, 240–244 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1002/adom.201300406
- 13.S. Iwan, J.L. Zhao, S.T. Tan et al., Ion-dependent electroluminescence from trivalentrare-earth doped n-ZnO/p-Si heterostructured light-emitting diodes. Mat. Sci. Semicon. Proc. 30, 263–266 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mssp.2014.09.048
- 15.J.-H. Lim, C.-K. Kang, K.-K. Kim et al., UV electroluminescence emission from ZnO light-emitting diodes grown by high-temperature radiofrequency sputtering. Adv. Mater. 18, 2720–2724 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200502633
- 16.X.M. Zhang, M.Y. Lu, Y. Zhang et al., Fabrication of a high-brightness blue-light-emitting diode using a ZnO-nanowire array grown on p-GaN thin film. Adv. Mater. 21, 2767 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200802686
- 23.T. Ghosh, Effect of substrate-induced strain on the morphological, electrical, optical and and photoconductive properties of RF magnetron sputtered ZnO thin films. Mater. Res. Bull. 46:1039–1044 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2011.03.011