Influence of silica ratio on structural and optical properties of SiO2/TiO2 nanocomposites prepared by simple solid-phase reaction
- 140 Downloads
TiO2/SiO2 (Ti–O–Si) nanocomposite were prepared by a simple solid-phase reaction under natural atmosphere at 500 °C after the incorporation of silica (SiO2) nanoparticles, in TiO2 with varying the percentage weight of silica in the mixture (20, 30 and 50%). X-ray diffraction (XRD) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) were used to characterize the phase purity, particle size and morphology. UV–vis absorption spectroscopy and optical density measurements (DO) allowed us to investigate the optical properties of our samples and to determine some crucial parameters such as the band gap energy Eg and the optical density DO. By the same, the band gap energy Eg achieves higher values as well as the optical density decreases for all the used wavelengths. These observations results from the formation of the Ti–O–Si bond and the presence of amorphous silica around anatase, which would impede the growth of TiO2 particles. The internal microstructure thus obtained will perform the stability of our composite allowing an enhancement of optical, electrical and catalytic features of TiO2.
KeywordsTiO2 SiO2 Amorphous Silica Perfect Concordance Silica Ratio
The authors would like to acknowledge contribution from Madani Salaheddine and Zarrouk Nafae for their collaboration.
- 2.J. Zhai, X. Tao, Y. Pu, X.F. Zeng, J.F. Chen, Core/shell structured ZnO/SiO2 nanoparticles: preparation, characterization and photocatalytic property. J. Phys. 15, 2867 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Z.P. Fu, B.F. Yang, L. Li, W.W. Dong, C. Jia, W. Wu, An intense ultraviolet photoluminescence in sol–gel ZnO–SiO2 nanocomposites. J. Phys. 15, 2867 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.J. Liu, F. Shi, D. Yang, Characterization of sol-gel-derived TiO2 and TiO2-SiO2 films for biomedical applications. J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 20, 550–554 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.V. Tizjang, M. Montazeri-Pour, M. Rajabi, M. Kari, S. Moghadas, Surface modification of sol–gel synthesized TiO2 photo-catalysts for the production of core/shell structured TiO2–SiO2 nano-composites with reduced photo-catalytic activity. J. Mater. Sci. 26, 3008–3019 (2015)Google Scholar
- 23.R.A. Aziz, I. Sopyan, Synthesis of TiO2-SiO2 powder and thin film photocatalysts of sol-gel method. Int. J. Chem. 48, 951–957 (2009)Google Scholar
- 24.A. Nilchi, S. Janitabar-Darzi, S. Rasouli-Garmarodi, Sol–gel preparation of nanoscale TiO2/SiO2 composite for eliminating of Con Red Azo dye. Mater. Sci. Appl. 2, 476–480 (2011)Google Scholar