Study on metal decorated oxidized multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) - epoxy adhesive for thermal conductivity applications
- 349 Downloads
In this work, an effort has been made to develop a new type of complex conductive adhesive filled with silver decorated multi-walled carbon nanotubes (Ag-MWCNT). MWCNTs have been modified using N,N-dimethyl formamide (DMF) as a reducing agent and silver nanoparticles (Ag-NPs) has been homogeneously decorated against the surface. Fourier transform infra-red spectroscopy (FTIR) and Raman spectroscopy concluded that carboxylic groups were anchored to the surface of nanotubes. X-ray diffraction (XRD), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and energy-dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) confirmed that Ag-NPs were formed and uniformly deposited onto the surface of carboxylic functionalized MWCNT. Test results indicated an improvement in the thermal conductivity up to 0.88 W/mK, which was about four-fold increase over pristine epoxy. The curing kinetics of Ag-MWCNTs reinforced epoxy adhesive system was also studied using non-isothermal differential scanning calorimetric (DSC) technique. The activation energy obtained by Kissinger’s method was reduced from 57.2 to 54 kJ/mol with an addition of 0.5 wt% of Ag-MWCNT within unmodified epoxy. Lap shear strength of the adhesive containing 0.5 wt% of Ag-MWCNT was higher than the pristine polymer thus confirming reinforcing effect of Ag-MWCNT in conductivity applications.
KeywordsEpoxy Differential Scanning Calorimetric Epoxy Matrix Adhesive System Conductive Filler
This work is supported by Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences-BRNS (Grant No. 39/11/2015-BRNS), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Govt. of India.
- 7.S. Yu, P. Hing, X. Hu, Science 33, 289 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.C.V. Bouanga, T.F. Heid, M.F. Frechette, E. David, Elecrical Insul. Dielectr. Phenom. ,709 (2015) doi: 10.1109/CEIDP.2015.7352138
- 24.R. Gulotty, M. Castellino, P. Jagdale, A. Tagliaferro, A.A. Balandin, ACS Nano 7, 5114 (2013)Google Scholar
- 33.M.A. Atieh, O.Y. Bakather, B. Al-Tawbini, A. A. Bukhari, F.A. Abuilaiwi, M.B. Fettouhi, Bioinorg. Chem. Appl. 2010, (2010)Google Scholar
- 43.G.V. Ramana, B. Padya, R.N. Kumar, K.V. Prabhakar, P.K. Jain, Indian J. Eng. Mat. Sci. 17, 331 (2010)Google Scholar