Study on the microstructure and properties of low-Ag Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu–0.5Ga solder alloys bearing Pr
Effect of Pr element on the wettability, microstructure, interface morphology and mechanical property of Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu–0.5Ga–xPr solder has been studied. The result exhibits that the wettability of solders could significantly be improved by adding an approximate amount of Pr, for the forming of well-distributed PrSn3 IMCs could serve as the sites of heterogeneous nucleation, subsequently leading to the refinement of β-Sn matrix and reducing the growth of IMCs. Therefore, the thickness of the IMC layers at the interface (Cu plate/solder) is reduced, implying that the morphology is optimized. The promotion of mechanical properties is also correlated to the refining of IMC layer.
KeywordsWettability Solder Joint Solder Alloy Cu6Sn5 Phase Maximum Shear Force
The Project was supported by the Key Laboratory of Advanced Welding Technology of Jiangsu Province, China (Foundation No. JSAWT-14-04). This work was also supported by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities and the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD). The present work also was carried out with the support of China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (General Financial Grant 2014M550289, Special Financial Grant 2015T80548).
- 1.R. Chandrappa, D.B. Das, Waste from electrical and electronic equipment. Solid Waste Management (Springer, Berlin, 2012), pp. 197–216Google Scholar
- 2.Directive R H S, Directive 2002/95/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. Off. J. Eur. Union 13, L37 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Hayashi, I. Shohji, Y. Nakata, T. Hashimoto, 2015 IEEE 17th Electronics Packaging and Technology Conference (EPTC), vol. 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.W.X. Chen, S.B. Xue, H. Wang et al., Effects of rare earth Ce on properties of Sn–9Zn lead-free solder. J. Mater. Sci. 21(7), 719–725 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.L.L. Gao, S.B. Xue, L. Zhang et al., Effects of trace rare earth Nd addition on microstructure and properties of SnAgCu solder. J. Mater. Sci. 21(7), 643–648 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.G. Li, Y. Shi, H. Hao et al., Effect of rare earth addition on shear strength of SnAgCu lead-free solder joints. J. Mater. Sci. 20(2), 186–192 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.L.L. Gao, S.B. Xue, L. Zhang et al., Effect of praseodymium on the microstructure and properties of Sn–3.8Ag–0.7Cu solder. J. Mater. Sci. 21(9), 910–916 (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.D.X. Luo, S.B. Xue, Z.Q. Li, Effects of Ga addition on microstructure and properties of Sn–0.5 Ag–0.7 Cu solder. J. Mater. Sci. 25(8), 3566–3571 (2014)Google Scholar
- 22.Standard M, Test methods and procedures for microelectronics. MIL-STD 883 C, Method 2019, 1–4 (1992)Google Scholar