Electrocaloric effect and energy-storage performance in grain-size-engineered PBLZT antiferroelectric thick films
- 374 Downloads
The effects of grain size on dielectric properties, energy-storage performance and electrocaloric effect (ECE) of Pb0.85Ba0.05La0.10(Zr0.90Ti0.10)O3 (PBLZT) antiferroelectric thick films were systematically studied. As the grain size was increased, dielectric constant of the thick films was increased, while their critical breakdown field was decreased. A giant reversible adiabatic temperature change of ∆T = 19.9 °C at room temperature was achieved in the PBLZT AFE thick film with a grain size of 0.59 µm. However, a huge recoverable energy-storage density of 33.6 J/cm3 and a high efficiency of 73 % were observed in the film with the smallest grain size of 0.19 µm at its breakdown field, because of its excellent electric field endurance. In addition, all the samples had a low leakage current density of below 10−6 A/cm2 at room temperature. These results indicated that our PBLZT AFE thick films could be a promising candidate for applications in high energy-storage density capacitors and solid-cooling devices by properly controlling their grain size.
KeywordsThick Film Leakage Current Density LaNiO3 Diffuse Phase Transition Adiabatic Temperature Change
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support by the Ministry of Sciences and Technology of China through 973-Project (2014CB660811), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51462027), the Program for Innovative Research Team in Universities of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region (NMGIRT-A1605), the Innovation Guide Fund of Baotou (CX2015-8) and the Innovation Program of Inner Monglia University of Science and Technology (2014QNGG01).
- 12.G.Z. Zhang, D.Y. Zhu, X.S. Zhang, L. Zhang, J.Q. Yi, B. Xie, Y.K. Zeng, Q. Li, Q. Wang, S.L. Jiang, High-energy storage performance of (Pb0.87Ba0.1La0.02)(Zr0.68Sn0.24Ti0.08)O3 antiferroelectric ceramics fabricated by the hot-press sintering method. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 4, 1175–1181 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.X.F. Chen, F. Cao, H.L. Zhang, G. Yu, G.S. Wang, X.L. Dong, Y. Gu, H.L. He, Y.S. Liu, Dynamic hysteresis and scaling behavior of energy density in dynamic hysteresis and scaling behavior of energy density in Pb0.99Nb0.02[(Zr0.60Sn0.40)0.95Ti0.05]O3 Antiferroelectric bulk ceramics. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 4, 1163–1166 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.B.L. Peng, Q. Zhang, X. Li, T.Y. Sun, H.Q. Fan, S.M. Ke, M. Ye, Y. Wang, W. Lu, H.B. Niu, J.F. Scott, X.R. Zeng, H.T. Huang, Giant electric energy density in epitaxial lead-free thin films with coexistence of ferroelectrics and antiferroelectrics. Adv. Electron. Mater. 1, 1–7 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.H.F. Ji, W. Ren, L.Y. Wang, P. Shi, X.F. Chen, X.Q. Wu, X. Yao, S.T. Lau, Q.F. Zhou, K.K. Shung, Structure and electrical properties of Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3 ferroelectric thick films derived from a polymer modified sol–gel method. IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 58, 2042–2049 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 45.T. Mitsui, I. Tatsuzaki, E. Nakamura, An Introduction to the Physics of Ferroelectrics (Gordon and Breach, London, 1976)Google Scholar
- 53.M. Lines, A. Glass, Principles and Applications of Ferroelectrics and Related Materials (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1977)Google Scholar
- 58.B.L. Peng, Q. Zhang, X. Li, T.Y. Sun, H.Q. Fan, S.M. Ke, M. Ye, Y. Wang, W. Lu, H.B. Niu, X.R. Zeng, H.T. Huang, Large energy storage density and high thermal stability in a highly textured (111)-oriented Pb0.8Ba0.2ZrO3 Relaxor thin film with the coexistence of antiferroelectric and ferroelectric phases. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7, 13512–13517 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar