Photoelectrochemical degradation of eosin yellowish dye on exfoliated graphite–ZnO nanocomposite electrode
- 267 Downloads
In the quest for harnessing more power from the sun for water treatment by photoelectrochemical degradation, we prepared a novel photoanode of exfoliated graphite (EG)–ZnO nanocomposite. The nanocomposite was characterised by X-ray diffractometry, energy dispersive spectroscopy, Brunauer–Emmett–Teller surface area analyser, thermal gravimetric analyser, and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. The EG–ZnO nanocomposite was fabricated into a photoanode and applied for the photoelectrochemical degradation of 0.1 × 10−4 M eosin yellowish dye in 0.1 M Na2SO4 under visible light irradiation. The degradation was monitored with a visible spectrophotometer. The photoelectrochemical degradation process resulted in enhanced degradation efficiency of ca. 93 % with kinetic rate of 11.0 × 10−3 min−1 over photolysis and electrochemical oxidation processes which exhibited lower degradation efficiencies of 35 and 40 % respectively.
KeywordsMethyl Orange Composite Electrode Redox Probe Exfoliate Graphite Photoelectrochemical Process
The financial support of the following are gratefully acknowledged: Nanotechnology Innovation Centre, Mintek South Africa; The Centre for Nanomaterials Science Research, University of Johannesburg; The Faculty of Science, University of Johannesburg; and The National Research Foundation, South Africa.
- 3.B.R. Babu, A.K. Parande, S. Raghu, T. PremKumar, J. Cotton Sci. 11, 141–153 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Senthikumar, M. Perumalsamy, H.J. Prabhu, C. AhmedBasha, G. Swammathan, Cent. Eur. J. Eng. 3(1), 135–144 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.T.K. Tan, P.S. Khiew, W.S. Chiu, S. Radiman, R. Abd-Shukor, N.M. Huang, H.N. Lim, World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. 55, 791–796 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.L.M. AL-Harbi, E.H. El-Mossalamy, Mod. Appl. Sci. 5, 130–135 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.I. Poulios, D. Makri, X. Prohaska, Global NEST 1, 55–62 (1999)Google Scholar
- 25.JCPDS, Powder Diffraction File, Alphabetical Index, Inorganic Compounds (International Centre for Diffraction Data, Newtown Square, PA, 1977)Google Scholar
- 28.Z.G. Wang, X.T. Zu, S. Zhu, L.M. Wang, Syst. Nanostruct. 35, 199–202 (2006)Google Scholar