Nano-sized boron nitride epoxy composites for underfill application: effect of diluent and filler loading
Effect of ethanol as diluent in the preparation of nano-sized boron nitride filler filled epoxy composites was investigated. Ethanol at 10 wt% was used to reduce the viscosity of epoxy composites. Filler loading up to 6 vol% is able to be added in the diluent system, as compared to 4 vol% in the non-diluent system. Sonication process was used to facilitate filler dispersion. At 4 vol% filler loadings, diluent system showed 36 % higher in flow rates than non-diluent system. Apparently, non-diluent system showed higher flexural strength, modulus, thermal conductivity, and lower coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) than that of diluent system. However, when the filler loading is up to 6 vol% for the diluent system, CTE is reduced 4.3 % and thermal conductivity increased 6.9 % if compared to 4 vol% non-diluent system. In general, it is concluded that diluent system at 6 vol% exhibit better flowability, CTE and thermal conductivity to fabricate underfill materials.
KeywordsFlexural Strength Boron Nitride Epoxy Composite Solder Bump Flexural Modulus
The present work was supported by the research grant from Ministry of Education Malaysia for granting Explorating Research Grant Scheme (ERGS). Special thanks also to MyMaster financing program (MyBrain15) and Graduate Assistant Scheme.
- 1.C.P. Wong, Fellow, IEEE, M.M. Wong, IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol. 22(1), 21 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.C.P. Wong, Fellow, IEEE, M.B. Vincent, S. Shi, IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol. A 21(2), 360 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.K. Darbha, J.H. Okura, A. Dasgupta, IEEE Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol. Soc. A 21(2), 275 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.S. Muhammad, Firdaus, J. Mariatti. J. Eng. Sci. 9, 89 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.P.L. Teh, M. Mariatti, H.M. Akil, K.N. Seethamaru, A.N.R. Wagiman, K.S. Beh, J. Compos. Mater. 42(2), 129 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.M.T. Huang, H. Ishida, Polym. Polym. Compos. 7(4), 233 (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.S. Muhammad Firdaus, M. Mariatti, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. 23(7), 1293 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.S. Tognana, W. Salgueiro, A. Samoza, J. A. Pomarico, H. F. Ranea-Sandoval, Mater. Sci. and Eng.: B, 157(1-3), 26 (2009)Google Scholar
- 27.S. Palaniandy, A.A. Khairun, J. Mariatti, N.A. Farrah, H. Hashim, S.H. Syed Fuad, Powder Technol. 185(1), 54 (2008)Google Scholar