Modeling defect reactions processes to study the impact of carbon on the production and conversion of A-centers in silicon
- 78 Downloads
The vacancy-oxygen (VO or A-center) defect is one of the most significant defects in Czochralski-grown silicon (Cz-Si). Here we investigate the effect of carbon on the formation of VO defect and its conversion upon annealing to the VO2 defect. Cz-Si samples with various carbon concentrations were irradiated by 2 MeV electrons. The formation of VO pair, its thermal stability and evolution and its conversion to the VO2 defect were previously monitored and studied by means of infrared (IR) spectroscopy. Modeling of the formation process showed that the VO concentration has a square root dependency on the carbon substitutional (Cs) concentration. The conversion of the VO to the VO2 defect decreases with the increase of the Cs concentration. The results are in agreement with the experimental observed dependency of the conversion ratio on the Cs concentration, since [VO] increases when [Cs] increases.
KeywordsCarbon Concentration Conversion Ratio Defect Reaction Root Dependency Local Vibrational Mode
The authors thank Prof. Vladimir Voronkov for valuable discussions.
- 1.E.N. Sgourou, D. Timarkaeva, C.A. Londos, D. Aliprantis, A. Chroneos, D. Caliste, P. Pochet, J. Appl. Phys. 113, 113506 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.A. Chroneos, H. Bracht, R.W. Grimes, B.P. Uberuaga, Mater. Eng. B 72, 154 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.W. Lin, in Oxygen in Silicon, Semiconductors and Semimetals, vol. 42, ed. by F. Shimura (Academic, Boston, 1994), p. 9Google Scholar
- 7.B. Pajot, in Oxygen in Silicon, Semiconductors and Semimetals, vol. 42, ed. by F. Shimura (Academic, Boston, 1994), p. 191Google Scholar
- 9.R.C. Newman, R. Jones, in “Oxygen in silicon” in Semiconductors and Semimetals, vol. 42, ed. by F. Shimura (Academic Press, Orlando, 1994), p. 289Google Scholar
- 10.G. Davies, R.C. Newman, in In Handbook of Semiconductors, vol. 3, ed. by S. Maharajan (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1994), p. 1557Google Scholar
- 24.H. Wang, A. Chroneos, C.A. Londos, E.N. Sgourou, U. Schwingenschlögl, Sci. Rep. 4, 4909 (2014)Google Scholar
- 32.C.A. Londos, G.J. Antonaras, M.S. Potsidi, A. Misiuk, I.V. Antonova, V.V. Emtsev, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 17, S2341 (2005)Google Scholar