Magnetoelectric and magnetodielectric effect in BST–LSMO ferromagnetic/ferroelectric composites
- 252 Downloads
Ba1−xSrxTiO3 (BST) for x = 0.20, 0.25 and 0.30 and La0.67Sr0.33MnO3 (LSMO) are synthesized using hydroxide co-precipitation route to lead to nanocrystalline particles of BST and LSMO respectively. Further the magnetoelectric (ME) and magnetodielectric (MD) composites of BST0.20, BST0.25 and BST0.30 are formed by addition of the LSMO at y = 0.1 and y = 0.2. The parent BST compositions are studied for its dielectric properties as a function of temperature and frequency up to 1 MHz. The AC conductivity of LSMO–BST (LBST) is studied and it confirms the conduction to be due to small polarons. The paper also presents ME and MD properties of LBST composites. The observation on MD properties show that the dielectric constant possesses contribution due to magnetic field dependant interfacial polarization and variation due to the stress induced because of the applied magnetic field. Further from the ME study, the maximum value of magnetoelectric coefficient is 15.51 mV/Oe/cm is observed for LBST composites.
KeywordsApplied Magnetic Field Interfacial Polarization Small Polaron Magnetoelectric Coefficient Titanium Oxalate
The authors wish to thank Dr.V.R. Reddy, UGC-DAE-CSR Indore for his kind help during the course of this work also author M.M. Sutar likes to thanks the University Grant Commission, New Delhi, India, for a Teacher Research Fellowship award under FIP, XIth Plan 2007-12.
- 9.G. Catalan, Phys. Lett. 88, 102902 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.S.K. Lee, T.J. Park, G.J. Choi, K.K. Koo, S.W. Kim, Chem. Phys. 82, 742–749 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.S.S. Veer, D.J. Salunkhe, S.V. Kulkarni, S.B. Kulkarni, P.B. Joshi, Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci. 15, 121–125 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.D.J. Salunkhe, S.S. Veer, S.V. Kulkarni, S.B. Kulkarni, P.B. Joshi, J. Instrum. Soc. India 38(4), 294–298 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.D. Alder, J. Feinleib, Phys. Rev. B2, 3112 (1970)Google Scholar
- 20.S.L. Kadam, K.K. Patanakar, V.L. Mathe, M.B. Kothale, R.B. Kale, B.K. Chougule, Mater. Chem. Phys. 78, 684–690 (2003)Google Scholar
- 23.S.R. Jigajeni, M.M. Sutar, S.M. Salunkhe, P.B. Joshi, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 23, 1678–1687 (2012)Google Scholar