Microstructural evolutions of the Ag nano-particle reinforced SnBiCu-xAg/Cu solder joints during liquid aging
- 220 Downloads
Ag nano-particle reinforced Sn30Bi0.5Cu-xAg (x = 1 wt%, 2 wt% and 5 wt%) solder pastes were prepared and reflowed on Cu substrates at 523 K. Then, the solder joints were liquid aged at 473 K for 6 and 12 h. Microstructural evolutions of these solder joints were observed by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The results show that Bi-rich phase was refined in the as-reflowed Sn30Bi0.5Cu-xAg composite solder matrices. With the increase of the liquid aging time, Bi-rich phase was refined both in the Sn30Bi0.5Cu solder and in the Sn30Bi0.5Cu-xAg composite solders. The addition of Ag nano-particles changed the growth rate of the IMC layers during liquid aging due to the absorption effect of the Ag3Sn micro-particles.
KeywordsSolder Joint Composite Solder Solder Matrix Cu6Sn5 Phase Composite Solder Joint
This research was financial supported by a Key Scientific and Technological Project of Chongqing (Project No. CSTC, 2009AC4046), a Natural Science Foundation Project of CQ CSTC (Project No. CSTC, 2010BB4039), a Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of P R China (Project No. CDJZR10130010) and a Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Project No. CDJXS10131155).
- 12.T. Lyman, The Ninth Edition of Metals Handbook (ASM International, Ohio, 1985), p. 126Google Scholar
- 13.T.B. Massalskl, Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams (ASM International, Ohio, 1990)Google Scholar
- 14.C.P. Peng, J. Shen, W.D. Xie, J. Chen, C.P. Wu, X.C. Wang, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. doi: 10.1007/s10854-010-0214-8
- 16.V.I. Dybkov, Growth Kinetics of Chemical Compound Layers (Cambridge International Science, Cambridge, 1998), pp. 135–136Google Scholar
- 18.Q.J. Zhai, S.K. Guan, Q.Y. Shang, Alloy Thermo-Mechanism: Theory and Application (Metallurgy Industry Press, Beijing, 1999), pp. 156–160Google Scholar