Study on properties of Sn–9Zn–Ga solder bearing Nd
- 159 Downloads
The effects of Nd on wettability, microstructure and mechanical properties of Sn–9Zn–Ga–xNd lead-free solder were investigated. The results indicate that adding moderate amount of rare earth Nd, the wettability as well as mechanical properties of Sn–9Zn–0.5Ga solder were evidently improved, and when the content of Nd is at 0.08 wt%, the best wettability and comprehensive properties of soldered joint were obtained. It was also found that the addition of rare earth Nd could refine the microstructure of the solder, but some dark NdSn3 phase appeared when the addition of Nd exceeded 0.15 wt%. Moreover, the IMCs thickness at the solder/Cu interface was reduced with the addition of Nd which gave a favorable influence on the mechanical property of the soldered joints.
KeywordsSolder Joint Solder Alloy Pull Force Quad Flat Package Wetting Force
This work is supported by the Opening Project of State Key Laboratory of Advanced Brazing Filler Metals & Technology (Zhengzhou Research Institute of Mechanical Engineering, China). This work is also supported by Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Innovative Research Base of Graduate Students (laboratory) Open Fund. (Project No. 201001016).
- 10.H. Wang, Study on the properties and related mechanisms of micro-alloyed Sn–9Zn lead-free solder.[D], Nanjing: Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2010Google Scholar
- 13.S.B. Xue, S.L. Yu, X.Y. Wang et al., Effects of rare earth element Ce on solderabilities of micro-powdered Sn–Ag–Cu solder. Trans. Nonferr. Met. Soc. China 15(6), 1285–1289 (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Council of Japan Industry Standard, J IS Z 3198-2 test methods for lead-free solders—Part 4: methods for solderability test by a wetting balance method and a contact angle method, 2003Google Scholar
- 20.Council of Japan Industry Standard, J IS Z 3198-2 test methods for lead-free solders—Part 2: methods for mechanical properties-tensile test, 2003Google Scholar
- 24.Solderability tests for component leads, terminations, lugs, terminals and wires, IPC/EIA/JEDEC J-STD-002B, 2003Google Scholar