First-principles calculations of crystal structure, electronic structure and optical properties of Ba2RETaO6 (RE = Y, La, Pr, Sm, Gd)
The crystal structure, electronic structure and optical properties of Ba2RETaO6 (RE = Y, La, Pr, Sm, Gd) have been studied by first-principles calculation. The calculated lattice parameters are in good agreement with the previously reported values. With increasing the atomic number of RE (i.e., the number of 4f electrons), the energy level of RE 4f bands becomes lower continuously. The relationship between the electronic structure and optical properties is explored based on first-principles calculation. The electron transitions between O 2p states, RE 4f states and Ta 5d states have a key effect on optical properties such as dielectric function, refractive index, absorption coefficient and reflectivity. The phase structures have great influence on the optical properties of Ba2SmTaO6 and Ba2GdTaO6, and the big variation of reflectivity induced from phase transition makes them have potential applications in the infrared radiation protection area.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Number 51302013). The authors are also very grateful to the Analytical and Testing Center of Beijing Normal University and the Chinese Academy physicochemical for providing the experimental support.
- 1.Zurmühlen R, Petzelt J, Kamba S, Kozlov G, Volkov A, Gorshunov B, Dube D, Tagantsev A et al (1995) Dielectric spectroscopy of Ba(B’1/2B’’1/2)O3 complex perovskite ceramics: correlations between ionic parameters and microwave dielectric properties. I. Infrared reflectivity study (1012–1014 Hz). J Appl Phys 77(10):5341–5350CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Saines PJ, Spencer JR, Kennedy BJ, Avdeev M (2007) Structures and crystal chemistry of the double perovskites Ba2LnB′O6, (Ln = lanthanide B′ = Nb5+, and Ta5+): part I. Investigation of Ba2LnTaO6, using synchrotron X-ray and neutron powder diffraction. J Solid State Chem 180(11):2991–3000CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Saines PJ (2008) Structural studies of lanthanide double perovskites. The University of Sydney [thesis]Google Scholar
- 9.Clark SJ (2005) First principles methods using CASTEP. Z Kristallogr 220(5/6):567–570Google Scholar
- 17.Zhou WL, Zhang QL, Gao JY, Liu WP, Ding LH, Yin ST (2011) Structures and luminescence properties of Yb3+ in the double perovskites Ba2YB’O6 (B’ = Ta5+, Nb5+) phosphors. Chin Phys B 20(1):493–500Google Scholar
- 22.Gillen R, Clark SJ, Robertson J (2012) The nature of the electronic band gap in lanthanide oxides. Phys Rev B Condens Matter 87(12):3939–3952Google Scholar