Mössbauer and TEM studies of the phase composition and structure of (Nd1−x Ce x )32.7Fe66.22B1.08 ribbons
- 126 Downloads
(Ce x Nd1−x )32.7Fe66.22B1.08 (x = 0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0) ribbons were prepared by melt spinning, and the effect of substitution of Ce for Nd on their microstructure and magnetic properties was investigated. Especially, the phase compositions and microstructures of the ribbons were examined by Mössbauer spectrometry and transmission electron microscopy, respectively. The results indicated that the coercivity (H ci) and remanence (B r) of the ribbons decreased with the increase of Ce content. However, an abnormal increase of H ci was observed in the sample of x = 0.4. This was mainly due to the synergistic effects of the microstructures, the ratio of secondary phases, and the site-preference of rare earth atoms. In this study, the optimal magnetic properties of B r = 6.95 kGs, H ci = 13.65 kOe and (BH)max = 9.56 MGOe were achieved in the (Nd0.6Ce0.4)32.7Fe66.22B1.08 ribbon, which indicated that Ce had a great potential to prepare the low cost and high coercivity magnets.
KeywordsGrain Boundary High Coercivity Rare Earth Atom Free Side Wheel Side
This research is supported by the Sichuan Province Science and Technology Support Programs (2014GZ0090 and 2016GZ0262).
- 5.Yan C, Guo S, Chen R, Lee D, Yan AR (2014) Effect of Ce on the magnetic properties and microstructure of sintered didymium-Fe-B magnets. IEEE Trans Magn 50:1–5Google Scholar
- 11.Fuerst CD, Capehart TW, Pinkerton FE, Herbst JF (1995) Preparation and characterization of La2-xCexFe14B compounds. J Magn Magn Mater 139:359–363Google Scholar
- 14.Zhou QY, Liu Z, Guo S, Yan AR, Lee D (2015) Magnetic properties and microstructure of melt-spun Ce–Fe–B magnets. IEEE Trans Magn 51:1–4Google Scholar
- 29.Gubbens PCM, Vanloef JJ, Buschow KHJ (1974) Magnetic and electric properties of R2Fe17 compounds studied by means of the Mössbauer effect. J Phys 35:C6-617–C6-620Google Scholar
- 40.Susner M A, Conner B S, Saparov B I, et al. (2015) Growth and Characterization of Ce-Substituted Nd2Fe14B Single Crystals. arXiv preprint, arXiv:1508.07792, 2015