Experimental investigation of phase equilibria in the Ti–Al–Mo ternary system
Phase equilibria in Ti–Al–Mo ternary system are of fundamental importance to better acquire the phase-forming regulation of TiAl-based alloys. In this paper, phase relations in this system have been investigated with Ti–TiAl–Mo diffusion triples combined with key equilibrated alloys. Five isothermal sections of the Ti–Al–Mo ternary system at 1473, 1373, 1273, 1173, and 1073 K were experimentally determined by means of electron probe microanalysis, scanning electron microscope, and X-ray diffraction. The TiAl and TiAl3 phases show wide ternary composition ranges, while the solubility of Mo in the Ti3Al and αTi phases is relatively limited. The solubility of Al in the β(Ti, Mo) phase decreases from 49.0 at.% at 1473 K to 39.9 at.% at 1073 K while that of Ti in the AlMo3 phase decreases from 25.4 at.% at 1473 K to 20.8 at.% at 1073 K. Moreover, the ternary compound σ forms at a temperature between 1423 and 1373 K through a peritectoid reaction β(Ti, Mo) + AlMo3 → σ. A peri-eutectoid invariant reaction β(Ti, Mo) + AlMo3 → σ + TiAl3 at 1373–1273 K was further deduced and the existence of another invariant reaction β(Ti, Mo) + TiAl3 → σ + TiAl at a temperature between 1273 and 1173 K was also confirmed. The established phase equilibria of the Ti–Al–Mo ternary system may provide essential data required for the construction of reliable thermodynamic assessment of the Ti–Al–Mo system.
KeywordsElectrical Discharge Machine Isothermal Section TiAl3 Lamellar Microstructure Equilibrate Alloy
Financial supports by grants from the Major State Basic Research Development Programs of China (Nos. 2014CB6644002 and 2012CB619501) and National Key Research and Development Plan (No. 2016YFB0701301) are gratefully acknowledged. The Project of Innovation-driven Plan in Central South University (No. 2015CX004) and Project supported by State Key Laboratory of Powder Metallurgy (Central South University, Changsha, China) are gratefully acknowledged.
- 18.Jin ZP (1981) A study of the range of stability of phase in some ternary systems. Scand J Metall 10:279–287Google Scholar
- 28.Ge DM, Pylaeva E (1966) Investigation of the phase equilibrium of the Ti–Al–Mo system in the titanium-rich alloy field. Titan Alloys 10:11–18Google Scholar
- 29.Eremenko VN, Tretyachenko LA, Sukhaya SA, Petukh VM (1990) Investigation of the structure of alloys of the Ti–Mo–Al system. Akad Nauk Ukr 83–135Google Scholar
- 32.Böhm H, Löhberg K (1958) A superstructure CsCl type phase in the titanium–molybdenum–aluminium system. Z Metallkd 49:173–178Google Scholar
- 33.Hansen RT, Raman A (1970) Alloy chemistry of σ(βU)-phases. III. σ phases with non-transition elements. Z Metallkd 61:115–120Google Scholar
- 36.Tretyachenko L (2005) Aluminum-Molybdenum-Titanium. In: Martienssen W (ed) Landolt-Boernstein New Series IV, vol (11). Plenum Press, New York, pp 287–316Google Scholar