Patterning SiC nanoprecipitate in Si single crystals by simultaneous dual- beam ion implantation
- 175 Downloads
β–SiC nanoprecipitates can be patterned in crystalline silicon with an almost monomodal size distribution by simultaneous-dual-beam of C+ and Si+ ion implantations at 550 °C. Their shape appears as spherical (average diameter ~4–5 nm) ,and they are in epitaxial relationship with the crystalline silicon matrix. The narrow size distribution follows the left wing of the carbon distribution where the nuclear ion stopping, and thus the point defect generation rate is largest. This observation allows us to conclude that the induced damage act as sinks for C atoms leading to the SiC nanoprecipitates formation centered at the maximum of the simulated damage distribution. The nuclear reaction analysis, X-ray diffraction, Raman spectroscopy, and transmission electron microscopy techniques were used to characterize the samples.
KeywordsHRTEM Carbon Depth Nuclear Reaction Analysis HRTEM Observation Implantation Temperature
Experiments were carried out at JANNuS (Joint Accelerators for Nanoscience and Nuclear Simulation), Saclay, France, and supported by the French Network EMIR and “Programme Transverse Matériaux Avancés,” CEA-SACLAY-FRANCE. One of the authors (G. Velişa) is gratefully indebted to Estelle Meslin and Pierre-Eugene Coulon without whom the pioneer TEM and HRTEM measurements from this work could not have been achieved.
- 12.Ziegler JF, Biersack JP, Littmark U (1985) The stopping and range of ions in solids. Pergamon, New York. SRIM program can be downloaded at www.srim.org
- 14.Velisa G, Trocellier P, Vaubaillon S, Miro S, Serruys Y, Bordas É, Meslin E, Mylonas S, Coulon PE, Leprêtre F, Pilz A, Thomé L (2013) Tailoring of SiC nanoprecipitates formed in Si. Nucl Instrum Methods B 307(165):170Google Scholar
- 15.Trouslard P (1995), Report CEA-R-5703Google Scholar
- 16.Mayer M (1997–1998) SIMNRA Version 6.0, Max-Planck-Institüt für Plasmaphysik, GarchingGoogle Scholar
- 17.Anderson R, Klepeis S, Benedict J, Vandygrift WG, Orndorff (1989), in: Cullis AG, Hutchinson JL (Eds.), Microscopy of Semiconducting Materials, Proceedings of the Royal Microscopical Society Conference, IOP Publishing LTD, Bristol, p 491Google Scholar