Microstructural characterization of Co-based coating deposited by low power pulse laser cladding
A detailed microstructural study of Stellite 6 coating deposited on a low carbon ferritic steel substrate using preplaced powder method and low power Nd:YAG pulse laser is performed. The grain structure and solidification texture of the coating are investigated by orientation imaging microscopy (OIM) and scanning electron microscopy. In addition, the effect of consecutive pulses on the microstructure of the coating is examined. The orientation relationship (OR) at coating/substrate interface and the solid state phase transformation in heat-affected zone are studied as well as the Vickers microhardness profile measurement in order to support the microstructural observations. An important conclusion is reached that the shape of solidification front during pulsed laser cladding is similar to the shape of solidification front during continuous cladding with a doubled laser beam scanning speed. Further, OIM reveals the Greninger–Troiano OR between the face centered cubic coating and bcc substrate grains. It is concluded that at the moment of solidification epitaxial growth of the grains in the coating occur on the austenitic grains of the substrate and that an austenite–ferrite transformation occurs in the heat-affected zone upon subsequent cooling.
KeywordsFerrite Austenite Orientation Relationship Solidification Front Laser Cladding
This research was a collaborative effort of the Tarbiat Modares University in Tehran and the Materials innovation institute M2i (www.m2i.nl) where it was carried out under project number MC7.06259.
- 4.Ion JC (2005) Laser processing of laser materials. Elsevier Butterworth–Heinemann, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 5.Schneider M (1990) Laser cladding with powder. Ph.D. thesis, University of Twente, EnschedeGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gedda H (2004) Laser cladding: an experimental and theoretical investigation. Ph.D. thesis, Luleå University of Technology, LuleåGoogle Scholar
- 10.Powell J, Henry PS, Steen WM (1988) Surf Eng 4:141Google Scholar
- 20.Dingely DJ (2000) In: Schwartz AJ, Kumar M, Adams BL (eds) Electron backscattered diffraction in materials science. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York, p 1Google Scholar
- 23.Wright SI, Fied DP, Dingley DJ (2000) In: Schwartz AJ, Kumar M, Adams BL (eds) Electron backscattered diffraction in materials science. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York, p 141Google Scholar
- 25.Kou S (2003) Welding metallurgy, 2nd edn. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- 27.Kurz W, Fisher DJ (1986) Fundamentals of solidification. Trans Tech Publications, ZurichGoogle Scholar
- 29.Nishiyama Z (1934) Sci Rep Tohoku Imp Univ Tokyo 26:637Google Scholar
- 30.Wassermann G (1935) Mitt K-Wilh-Inst Eisenforsch 17:149Google Scholar
- 31.Greninger AB, Troiano AR (1949) J Met Trans 185:590Google Scholar
- 32.Nolze G (2004) Z Metallkd 95:744Google Scholar