Cation-exchange kinetic studies on poly-o-toluidine Ce(IV) phosphate: a nano-composite and electrical conducting material
An advanced cation-exchange nano-composite poly-o-toluidine Ce(IV) phosphate was synthesized by sol–gel technique by incorporating Ce(IV) phosphate precipitate with the matrix of poly-o-toluidine. The material showed good ion-exchange behavior and used successfully in separation of metal ions. The conductivity of the composite was found within the range of 10−2 to 10−3 S/cm−1; measured by four-in-line probe DC electrical conductivity measuring technique. The conductivity is at the border of metallic and semiconductor region. Ion-exchange kinetics for few divalent metal ions was evaluated by particle diffusion-controlled ion-exchange phenomenon at four different temperatures. The particle diffusion mechanism is confirmed by the linear τ (dimensionless time parameter) versus t (time) plots. The exchange processes thus controlled by the diffusion within the exchanger particle for the systems studies herein. Some physical parameters like self-diffusion coefficient (D 0), energy of activation (E a), and entropy of activation (∆S°) have been evaluated under conditions favoring a particle diffusion-controlled mechanism.
KeywordsElectrical Conductivity Measurement Mobility Ratio Inorganic Precipitate Fractional Attainment Dimensionless Time Parameter
The authors are thankful to the Chairman, Department of Applied Chemistry, Z.H. College of Engineering and Technology, A.M.U. (Aligarh) and also to the U.G.C. funded research project for providing financial assistance.
- 1.Khan AA, Niwas R (1998) J Chem Environ Res 7(3 & 4)Google Scholar
- 16.Skotheim T (ed) (1986) Handbook of conducting polymers. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 17.MacDiarmid AG, Eptein A (1989) J Chem Soc 88:317Google Scholar
- 18.MacDiarmid AG, Eptein AJ, (1993) Conducting polymers, science and technology. Second Brazilian polymer conference, Plenum Publishing Corp, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- 20.Xin-Guili, Hung Mei-Rong, Liu Rui (2005) React Funct Polym 2:285Google Scholar
- 23.Instruction Manual (2000) Scientific Equipment and Services, RoorkeeGoogle Scholar
- 24.Mohammad F (2000) In: Nalwa HS (ed) Handbook of advanced electronic and photonic materials and devices. Academic Press, New York, p 321Google Scholar
- 25.Vermeulen T (1953) Eng Chem 45:1664Google Scholar