Influence of N and Fe on α-Ti precipitation in the in situ TiC–titanium alloy composites
- 147 Downloads
High strength with high ductility can be achieved in the titanium alloys by using metal precipitated ceramic particle as reinforcement. In this work, α + β or β-Ti alloy composites were prepared with α-Ti precipitated TiC particles. A series of Ti–Fe–C–N alloys were prepared and a constitutional diagram was constructed as a function of N and Fe contents. Two criteria were identified for the formation of α-Ti precipitation. One is the existence of Ti2C phase and the other is the presence of α-Ti phase in the matrix. The mechanism of α-Ti formation from the Ti2C phase is discussed.
KeywordsIron Content Alloy Composite Constitutional Diagram Fine Platelet Atomic Pair Correlation
This work was supported by a Grant in aid for Scientific Research (c) from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan.
- 1.Boyer RR (1993) In: Eylon D, Boyer RR, Koss DA (eds) Beta titanium alloys in the 1990s. TMS, Warrendale, PAGoogle Scholar
- 8.Tsuda H, Mori H, Mastui T, Mabuchi H, Morii K (2006) In: 16th international microscopy congress, Sapporo, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bhattacharyya D, Viswanathan GB, Denkenberger R, Furrer D, Fraser HL (2003) Acta Metall 51:4679Google Scholar
- 11.Kuroda D, Kawasaki H, Yamamoto A, Hiromoto S, Hanawa T (2005) Mater Sci Eng C25:312Google Scholar
- 13.Storms EK (1967) In: The refractory carbides, vol 2. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Han K, Weatherly GC (1997) Philos Mag 76:247Google Scholar
- 23.Gusev AI (1989) Philos Mag B 60:307Google Scholar