High temperature electrode reactions of Sr and Mg doped LaGaO3 perovskite
- 157 Downloads
High-temperature phase reactions of Sr and Mg doped LaGaO3 (LSGM) electrolyte with many electrode materials including Ag, Au, Pt, Sm doped CeO2 (CSO), Sr doped LaMnO3 (LSM), and Sm doped SrCoO3 (SSCO) were investigated systematically by solid-state reaction and X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis. Phase change and formation of minor phases were observed as a function of temperature. Single cells of LSGM electrolyte coupling with different electrode materials have been fabricated and tested by in situ ac impedance and IV curve measurement. The performance of single LSGM button cells was relative poor due to the occurrence of detrimental interfacial reactions.
KeywordsPerovskite CeO2 Ga2O3 Anode Chamber Single Perovskite Phase
Partial work was conducted in Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road, 62R0203, Berkeley, CA 94720, supported by the US Department of Energy under Contract no. DE-AC03-76SF00098. Special thanks are due to Dr. Steve Visco and Professor Lutgard DeJonghe for offering one of the authors (F. Zheng) the valuable opportunity and privilege to work in their labs.
- 2.Feng M, Goodenough JB (1994) A superior oxide-ion electrolyte. Eur J Solid State Inorg Chem 31:663Google Scholar
- 5.Huang K, Tichy RS, Goodenough JB (1998) Superior perovskite oxide-ion conductor; strontium- and magnesium-doped LaGaO3: I, phase relationships and electrical properties. J Am Ceram Soc 81:2565Google Scholar
- 6.Zheng F (2000) Phase stability and processing of the Sr and Mg doped lanthanum gallate. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Inagaki T, Yoshida H, Sasaki T, Miura K, Adachi K, Hoshino K, Hosoi K, Ohara S, Fukui T, Ishihara T, High performance intermediate temperature solid oxide fuel cell with doped lanthanum gallate electrolyte, Ni–SDC cermet anode, and Sm(Sr)CoO3 cathode. 2002 Fuel Cell Seminar, November 18–21, 2002, Palm Spring, California Palm Spring Convention Center, pp 423–425Google Scholar
- 8.Zheng F, Bordia RK, Pederson LR (2004) Phase constitution in Sr and Mg doped LaGaO3 system. Mater Res Bull 39:145Google Scholar
- 23.Chick LA, Maupin GD, Graff GL, Pederson LR, McCready DE, Bates JL (1992) Redox effects in self-sustaining combustion synthesis of oxide ceramic powders. Mater Res Soc Symp Proc 249:159Google Scholar
- 24.Zheng F (1996) Thermodynamics and phase behavior in lanthanum strontium manganites. MS Thesis, Washington State UniversityGoogle Scholar