Synthesis and characterization of layered and scrolled amine-templated vanadium oxides
In order to fully understand the formation mechanism, structure, and role of structural curvature of vanadium oxide nanotubes (VONTs), two isostructural materials (one planar and the other curved)—ethylenediammonium (enH2) intercalated V7O16 and vanadium oxide nanourchins (VONUs)—were synthesized and characterized via X-ray diffraction (XRD), electron microscopy, thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, and magnetic measurements. The synthesis route to (enH2)V7O16 is developed using vanadium pentoxide as a starting material and employing pH control. VONUs are synthesized using n-dodecylamine as an amine template for the first time. We demonstrate that the structure of the vanadium oxide layer in these compounds is similar to that of VONTs and their magnetic properties all fit to the same model including the temperature-independent, Curie–Weiss, and spin ½ antiferromagnetic dimer contributions. The vanadium oxidation state in tubular structures appears to be higher than in planar compounds such as (eH2)V7O16 and BaV7O16. The role of the template and vanadium reduction in the formation of nanotubes is discussed.
KeywordsVanadium Thermal Gravimetric Analysis Vanadium Oxide Vanadium Pentoxide Dodecylamine
The financial support from the National Science Foundation through grant DMR-0705657 is greatly appreciated.
- 12.Wang X, Liu L, Bontchev R, Jacobson AJ (1998) Chem Comm 1009Google Scholar
- 14.Furman NH (1962) Standard methods of chemical analysis. D. Van Nostrand Company Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Chirayil TG, Boylan EA, Mamak M, Zavalij PY, Whittingham MS (1997) Chem Comm 33Google Scholar
- 17.Conley RT (1966) Infrared spectroscopy. Allyn and Bacon Inc., BostonGoogle Scholar
- 21.Jacobs C, Roppolo M, Butterworth K, Ban C, Chernova NA, Whittingham MS (2007) Mater Res Soc Proc 988E:QQ03Google Scholar
- 22.Carlin RL (1986) Magnetochemistry. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p 75Google Scholar