Microtexture of chloride treated CdTe thin films deposited by CSS technique
- 212 Downloads
This work investigates the microstructural changes—especially in grain boundary structure and grain orientation distribution—in CdTe thin films deposited by close spaced sublimation at low (LT) and high temperatures (HT) and submitted to a CdCl2 heat treatment. These changes are quantitatively described by microtexture analysis, a spatial distribution of the orientation of the grains. The analysis is performed in a scanning electron microscope by means of identification of the electron back-scattered diffraction patterns from individual grains. The texture of each grain, the misorientation between grains, and coincident site lattice boundary maps are obtained. The results show that the CdCl2 treatment did not promote significant microstructural changes in HT-CdTe films, which grow with large and randomly oriented grains, and with a predominance of high-angle boundaries. On the other hand, for LT-CdTe films, this treatment promotes a substantial increase in grain size, a decreasing of preferential orientation, and an increase in the number of CSL and high-angle boundaries. These changes are considered to be a strong evidence for recrystallization.
KeywordsGrain Boundary Pole Figure Texture Component Boundary Structure Coincident Site Lattice
The authors thank financial support of CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior) and the collaboration of Joel Fonseca dos Santos for milling the samples.
- 1.Wu X, Keane JC, Dhere RG, Dehart C, Albin DS, Duda A, Gessert TA, Asher S, Levi DH, Sheldon P (2001) In: Proceedings of the 17th European photovoltaic solar energy conference, Munich, Germany, October 2001. WIP (ed), Munich, p 995Google Scholar
- 6.Moutinho HR, Dhere RG, Al-Jassim MM, Ballif C, Levi DH, Swartzlander AB, Young MR, Kazmerski LL (2000) In: Proceedings of the 28th IEEE photovoltaic specialists conference, Anchorage, Alaska, September 2000. IEEE (ed), p 646Google Scholar
- 7.Randle V (1992) Microtexture determination and its applications. The Institute of Materials, London, p 18Google Scholar
- 8.Cruz LR, Pinto AL, Souza MS, Moutinho HR, Dhere RG (2005) In: Proceedings of the 31st IEEE photovoltaic specialists conference, Florida, USA, January 2005. IEEE (ed), p 453Google Scholar
- 9.Humphreys FJ (1999) In: Szpunar JA (ed) Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Texture of Materials, Montreal, Canada, August 1999. NRC Research Press, p 74Google Scholar
- 10.Humphreys FJ, Hatherly M (1995) Recrystallization and related annealing phenomena. Elsevier Science Ltd., UKGoogle Scholar