The rheological behavior of ceramic/polymer mixtures for coextrusion processing
- 173 Downloads
Coextrusion is a novel fabrication method for ceramic processing. However, the rheological behavior of ceramic/polymer blends during batching and extrusion in a coextrusion process is not well understood. In this study, the rheological properties of BaTiO3/polymer mixtures during batching in a high-shear rate mixer (C.W. Brabender) were investigated and several models were evaluated. The BaTiO3/polymer mixtures exhibited shear thinning behavior with a yield stress. The power-law model still fit for the data obtained from the high-shear rate mixer in the tested shear rate range. The results also showed that Bousmina’s model only fits well for the pure polymer melts. For the ceramic/polymer mixtures, large deviations from Bousmina’s model were observed.
KeywordsTorque Shear Rate Roller Speed Pure Polymer Shear Rate Range
We would like to thank Amanda Young (UMR) and John Suwarbi (Rheometric Scientific Co.) for their valuable input to this research.
- 1.Butler TI (1992) Tappi J Sept., p 205Google Scholar
- 2.Pearce DH, Button TW (1999) In: Lee WE, Derby B (eds) Engineering With Ceramics. IOM Communications, London, [England], No. 59Google Scholar
- 4.Polzin BJ, Cruse TA, Houston RL, Picciolo JJ, Singh D, Goretta KC (2000) In: Bansal NP, Singh JP, Ustundag E (eds) Ceramic Transactions, vol 103, Advances in Ceramic-Matrix Composites V. American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, p 237Google Scholar
- 5.Hilmas GE, Huang T, Fang Z, White B, Griffo A (2002) In: Advances in Ceramic Matrix Composites VIII, Proceedings of the 104th Annual Meeting of the Am. Ceram. Soc. St. Louis, MO, April 2002. American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 2002, p 26Google Scholar
- 16.Brady GA, Hilmas GE, Halloran JW (1995) In: Hausner H, Messing GL, Hirano S (eds) Ceramic Transactions, vol 51, Ceramic processing science and technology. American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, p. 297Google Scholar
- 17.Kromer HM (1978) In: Introduction to Torque Rheometry. Saddle Brook, N.J., p 22Google Scholar
- 18.Wright JF Jr, Reed JS (2001) Am Ceram Soc Bull 80(4):31Google Scholar