Effect of low-density filler on mechanical properties of syntactic foams of cyanate ester
- 312 Downloads
Syntactic foam composites of cyanate ester with varying volume fractions of resin and glass microballoon were processed and evaluated for tensile, flexural and compressive properties. The effect of nature and volume fraction of microballoon on the mechanical properties was studied. The mechanical properties showed a gradual decrease in strength with increase in volume fraction of microballoon. The specific strength values also manifested a similar order. A similar behaviour was observed for syntactic foams with microballoons of varying true density. The properties increased proportional to the strength of the microballoon in resin-rich systems implying a strong microballoon-resin interface, corroborated by Scanning Electron Microscopy studies. The compressive modulus showed a decreasing trend with enhanced microballoon loading.
KeywordsFoam Compressive Strength Shell Thickness Void Content Syntactic Foam
The authors acknowledge Director, VSSC for granting permission to publish this paper. The assistance given by Ms. Sirisha (MCD) is acknowledged. Bibin John thanks Indian Space Research Organisation for a Fellowship.
- 6.Gupta N, Woldesenbet E, Mensah P (2004) Comp Part A Appl Sci Manufact 35:103Google Scholar
- 10.Sharma SC. In: Composite materials. Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, p 19Google Scholar
- 13.Gupta N, Woldesenbet E (2002) In Proceedings of ETCE 2002 ASME engineering technology conference on energy. TX, Houston, February 2002Google Scholar
- 15.Sankaran S, Ravishankar BN, Ravisekhar K, Kumar MNJ (2005) In: Proceedings of ISAMPE national conference on composites, INCOM-4. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, India, Dec.2005Google Scholar
- 16.High Performance Composites, November 2004, p 24Google Scholar
- 17.Nair CPR, Gopalakrishnan C, Ninan KN (2001) Polym Polym Comp 9(8):531Google Scholar
- 18.Benderly D, Rezek Y, Zafran J, Gorni D (2004) Polym Comp 25(2):229Google Scholar
- 23.Gupta N, Kishore, Woldesenbet E, Sankaran S (2001) J Mat Sci 36:4485Google Scholar
- 25.Kishore, Shankar R, Sankaran S (2005) Mat Sci Eng A 412:153Google Scholar