Interface characteristics in diffusion bonding of a γ-TiAl alloy to Ti–6Al–4V
- 174 Downloads
In the present study, diffusion bonding of a γ-TiAl alloy to a Ti–6Al–4V alloy at the different temperatures ranging from 1073 to 1173 K under an applied stress of 100 MPa for 2 h was investigated. The observation of the microstructure revealed that sound joints between the γ-TiAl Alloy and the Ti-alloy without any pores or cracks could be achieved through diffusion bonding at temperatures over 1073 K under the applied stress of 100 MPa for 2 h. The bond was composed of two zones, and its width increases with the increase of the bonding temperature. The EDS chemical composition profiles indicated that there is a diffusion flux of Al-atoms from γ-TiAl alloy towards the Ti-alloy and of Ti-atoms in the opposite direction. The microhardness of the diffusion bond was in the range of 310–450 HV, and increased monotonously from the side near the γ-TiAl alloy to the side near the Ti-alloy. In this bonding process, the diffusion flux of Ti atoms in interface is mainly controlled by grain boundary diffusion.
KeywordsLaser Welding Diffusion Flux Bonding Temperature Diffusion Bonding Fusion Welding
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 50371072), the Scientific Research Fund of Hunan Provincial Education Department (No. 06C834), and State key Lab of Advanced Welding Production Technology in Harbin Institute of Technology.
- 1.Kim YW, Dimiduk DM (1991) JOM 43:40Google Scholar
- 2.Deevi S (1991) Adv Mater Process 9:44Google Scholar
- 4.Acoff VL, Wilkerson S, Arenas M (2002) Mater Sci Eng A 329–331:763Google Scholar
- 5.Uenishia K, Kobayashia KF (1996) Intermetallics Supplement 4:95Google Scholar
- 6.Chaturvedi MC, Richards NL, Xu Q (1997) Mater Sci Eng A 239–240:605Google Scholar
- 10.Wang XF, Luo ZC, Yu GS, Lin JG (2006) Mater Sci Technol 22:186Google Scholar
- 11.Wu GQ, Huang Z, Chen CQ, Ruan ZJ, Zhang Y (2004) Mater Sci Eng A 380:402Google Scholar