Electrochemical performance of modified synthetic graphite for lithium ion batteries
The carbon-coated composite has been manufactured and investigated as the negative electrode for Li-ion batteries. The carbon-coated composite powders are prepared by a simple mixing of two types of synthetic graphite particles (SFG6 and SFG44) with polyvinylchloride powders and heating to a temperature between 800 and 1100°C under an argon gas flow.
As a result of the carbon-coating treatment, the flake particles of the original graphites changed into a bulky shape of carbon-coated composite with a largely increased particle size due to aggregation through the treatment. It is shown that carbon-coated composite electrodes for the two types of graphite have much lower irreversible loss than the original graphites and coulombic efficiency of ∼91% in the first cycle in a PC-based electrolyte. The carbon coating treatment improves the cycling performance. Despite their coarse morphology due to aggregation, carbon-coated composite electrodes show the enhanced high rate capabilities.
KeywordsElectrochemical Performance Cycling Performance Rate Capability Composite Powder Carbon Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Guerin, A. Fevrier-Bouvier, S. Flandrois, M. Couzi, B. Simon and P. Biensan, J. Electrochem. Soc. 146 (1999) 3660.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Azuma, H. Imoto, S. Uamada and K. Sekai, J. Power Sources 81/82 (1999) 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Q. Liu, T. Zhang, C. Bindra, J. E. Fischer and J. Y. Josefowicz, ibid. 68 (1997) 287.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Winter, P. Novak and A. Monnier, J. Electrochem. Soc. 145 (1998) 428.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Nakamura, H. Komatsu and M. Yoshio, J. Power Sources 62 (1996) 219.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Xing and J. R. Dahn, J. Electrochem. Soc. 144 (1997) 1195.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Yu, J. A. Ritter, R. E. White and B. N. Popov, ibid. 147 (2000) 1280.Google Scholar
- 8.I. Kuribayashi, M. Yokoyama and M. Yamashita, J. Power Sources 54 (1995) 1.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Yoshio, H. Wang, K. Fukuda, Y. Hara and Y. Adachi, J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 (2000) 1245.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. X. Shu, R. S. Mcmillan, J. S. Murray and I. J. Davidson, ibid. 142 (1995) L161.Google Scholar
- 11.G. H. Wrodnigg, T. M. Wrodnigg, J. O. Besenhard and M. Winter, Electrochem. Commun. 1 (1999) 148.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Y. Lee, J. K. Baek, S. W. Jang, S. M. Lee, S. T. Hong, K. Y. Lee and M. H. Kim, J. Power Sources 101 (2001) 206.Google Scholar
- 13.G. C. Chung, H. J. Kim, S. I. Yu, S. H. Jun, J. W. Choi and N. H. Kim, J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 (2000) 4391.Google Scholar
- 14.G. C. Chung, S. H. Jun, K. Y Lee and M. H. Kim, ibid. 146 (1999) 1664.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Zaghib, G. Nadeau and K. Kinoshita, ibid. 147 (2000) 2110.Google Scholar