Effect of iron on the setting properties of α-TCP bone cements
- 159 Downloads
New ceramic materials with the ability to set like cement, after mixing a powder phase made of one and/or several of these new reactants and a liquid phase, have been obtained within the ternary system “CaO-P2O5-FeO”. These new reactants have magnetic properties, i.e. cement made from them maintains its magnetic property during the whole setting and hardening. These new materials can be of use, for example, in dental applications, in the treatment of certain types of bone cancer and, in general, in the fields of Biomaterials and Bone Tissue Engineering. In this article, we report on the effect of iron-modified α -tricalcium phosphate, which is the main reactant of commercial calcium phosphate bone cements, on their new setting and hardening properties.
KeywordsIron Polymer Calcium Phosphate Liquid Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. E. BROWN and L. C. CHOW, Dental Restorative Cement Pastes, US Patent No.: 4,518,430. Priority Data, May 21, (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.Idem., in A New Calcium Phosphate Water-Setting Cement, edited by P. W. Brown, “Cements Research Progress” (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio, 1986), p. 351.Google Scholar
- 3.J. LEMAITRE, A. MIRTCHI and A. MORTIER, Sil. Ind. Ceram. Sci. Tech. 52 (1987) 141.Google Scholar
- 4.L. C. CHOW, S. TAKAGI, P. D. CONSTANTINO and C. D. FRIEDMAN, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 179 (1991) 3.Google Scholar
- 5.L. C. CHOW, J. Ceram. Soc. Japan (International Edition) 99 (1992) 927.Google Scholar
- 7.J. LEMAITRE, Innov. Tech. Biol. Med. 16(1) (1995) 109.Google Scholar
- 19.M. BOHNER, Key. Eng. Mater. 192–195 (2001) 765.Google Scholar
- 23.Standard Test Method: ASTM C266-89. Time of Setting of Hydraulic Cement Paste by Gillmore Needles, in “Annual Book of ASTM Standards,” Cement, lime, Gypsum (Philadelphia, ASTM, PA, 1993) Vol. 04.01, p. 444.Google Scholar
- 26.F. C. M. DRIESSENS, in “Bioceramics of Calcium Phosphate,” edited by K. De Groot (CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, Florida, 1993) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 27.H. HOSHINO and M. IWASE, Metall. Mater. Trans. B 27B (1996) 595.Google Scholar
- 28.E. FERNÁndez Fosfatos de calcio modificados con hierro. Spanish Patent No. P200302342. Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña. Priority Date: 01/10/2003.Google Scholar