Proof Complexity and Textual Cohesion
- 258 Downloads
In the first section of this paper I define a set of measures for proof complexity, which combine measures in terms of length and space. In the second section these measures are generalized to the broader category of formal texts. In the third section of the paper I outline several applications of the proposed theory.
KeywordsProof complexity Text complexity Cohesion Texture
- Foehr, U. G. (2006). Media multitasking among American youth: Prevalence, predictors and pairings. Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved July 10, 2012 from http://www.kff.org/entmedia/7592.cfm.
- Halliday, M. (1994). An introduction to functional grammar. London: Edward Arnold.Google Scholar
- Halliday, M., & Hasan, R. (1976). Cohesion in English. London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Herring, S. (1999). Interactional coherence in CMC. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 4. Retrieved December 10, 2012 from http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol4/issue4/herring.html.
- Johnstone, B. (2008). Discourse analysis. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Koolstra, C., Ritterfeld, U., & Vorderer, P. (2009). Media choice despite of multitasking? In T. Hartmann (Ed.), Media choice: A theoretical and empirical overview (pp. 234–246). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Martin, J. (2001). Cohesion and texture. In D. Schiffrin, D. Tannen, & H. Hamilton (Eds.), The handbook of discourse analysis. London: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Orevokv, V. (1993). Complexity of proofs and their transformations in axiomatic theories. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar
- Patlridge, B. (2006). Discourse analysis. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Rafaeli, S. (1988). Interactivity: From new media to communication. In R. P. Hawkins, J. M. Wiemann, & S. Pingree (Eds.), Advancing communication science: Merging mass and interpersonal process (pp. 110–134). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Rafaeli, S., & Sudweeks, F. (1997). Networked interactivity. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 2(4).Google Scholar
- Warnick, B., Xenos, M., Endres, D., & Gastil, J. (2005). Effects of campaign-to user and text-based interactivity in political candidate campaign web sites. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 10(3), article 5.Google Scholar