Cytosine: para-sulphonato-calixarene assemblies: in solution, in the solid-state and on the surface of hybrid silver nanoparticles
- 385 Downloads
The molecular recognition by para-sulphonato-calixarene of cytosine, occurs in solution, in the solid-state and by assembly on the surface of para-sulphonato-calixarene capped silver nanoparticles. Each of these states shows different modes of assembly; in solution a 1:1 complex is formed; in the solid state a 4:1 assembly exists, however some of the cytosine molecules are present as space fillers and do not participate in the host (guest complexes, finally on the surface of the hybrid silver/para-sulphonato-calixarene nanoparticles a 2:1 cytosine/para-sulphonato-calixarene assembly is observed. The assembly processes have been studied by DOSY NMR, fluorescence spectroscopy, Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), Single Crystal Solid State Diffraction, Visible Spectroscopy and Electron Microscopy. The results demonstrate how cytosine initiates the aggregation of the hybrid silver/para-sulphonato-calixarene hybrid nanoparticles.
KeywordsCytosine Para-sulphonato-calixarene Hybrid silver nanoparticles Solution Solid-state Colloids
One of us, Y.T., acknowledges support from the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Lyon 1. We thank Professor Shoji Takeuchi, his lab members and Dr. Yannick Rondelez for fluorescence experiments.
- 1.He, W., Huang, C.Z., Li, Y.F., Xie, J.P., Yang, R.G., Zhou, P.F., Wang, J.: One-step label-free optical genosensing system for sequence-specific DNA related to the human immunodeficiency virus based on the measurements of light scattering signals of gold nanorods. Anal. Chem. 80, 8424–8430 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gutsche, C.D.: Calixarenes: An Introduction, 2nd edn. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Xiong, D., Li, H.: Colorimetric detection of pesticides based on calixarene modified silver nanoparticles in water. Nanotechnology (2008). doi: 10.1088/0957-4484/19/46/465502
- 16.Schalley, C.: Analytical Methods in Supramolecular Chemistry. Wiley-VCH Verlag Gmbh, Weinheim (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Coleman, A.W., Bott, S.G., Morley, S.D., Means, C.M., Robinson, K.D., Zhang, H.M., Atwood, J.L.: Novel layer structure of sodium calixarenesulfonate complexes – a class of organic clay mimics. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2, 1361–1362 (1988)Google Scholar