Voltammetric studies of the interaction of 6-mercaptopurine with cucurbituril and DNA
- 223 Downloads
The interaction of 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP), an antitumor drug, with cucurbituril (Q) and DNA in an acetate buffer solution was studied by differential pulse voltammetry (DPV) and cyclic voltammetry(CV). The electrochemical data indicated a 1:1 complex formation of 6-MP with Q and DNA. The formation constants of these complexes were determined based on the variations in the current. Moreover, the interactions of the 6-MP-Q inclusion complex with DNA have been investigated by means of voltammetry. The results suggested that 6-MP displayed a high affinity for Q and that the inclusion complex did not decompose when it bound to DNA. It can be inferred from the experimental data that the binding model of 6-MP to DNA may be ‘electrostatic binding’. In addition, the formation of inclusion complexes between Q and 6-MP was confirmed by UV-Vis spectroscopy and the 1H NMR technique.
KeywordsVoltammetry 6-mercaptopurine Cucurbituril DNA
We acknowledge the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 20972034), Natural Science fund of Science and Technology Department of GuiZhou Province(Grant No. J-2009-2288), Introduced Talents Start-up Project of GuiZhou University(Grant No.2009023), and the Foundation of the Governor of Guizhou Province.
- 1.Waring, M.J.: In: Roberts, G.C.K. (ed.) Drug action at the Molecular Level, p. 167. Maemillar, London (1977)Google Scholar
- 2.Clarke, D.A., Philips, F.S., Sternberg, S.S., Stock, C.C., Elion, G.B., Hitchings, G.H.: 6-Mercaptopurine: effects in mouse sarcoma 180 and in normal animals. Cancer Res. 13, 593–604 (1953)Google Scholar
- 3.Burchenal, J.H., Karnofsky, D.A., Murphy, M.L., Ellison, R.R., Sykes, M.P., Tan, T.C., Mermann, A.C., Yuceoglu, M., Rhoads, C.P.: Clinical evaluation of 6-mercapto-purine in the treatment of leukemia. Am. J. Med. Sci. 228, 371–377 (1954)Google Scholar
- 7.An, H.-Z., Yan, X.-M.: The New Anti-Cancer Drug Handbook. Henan Science Press, Zheng Zhou (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhi, B.-X., Tuerhong, M.H.T.E., Qu, S.: Electrochemical Studies of Interaction Between Anticancer Drug 6-Mercaptopurine and DNA. J. Anal. Sci. 20, 364–366 (2004)Google Scholar
- 23.Dong, N., Xue, S.-F., Tao, Z., Zhao, Y., Cai, J., Liu, H.-C.: Investigation of Q as 5-aminosalicylic acid for colon-specific drug delivery. Acta. Chimica. Sinica 66, 1117–1122 (2008)Google Scholar
- 26.Dryhurst, G.: Electrochemistry of Biological Molecules. Academic Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar