Azocalixarenes.8: synthesis and investigation of the absorption spectra of di-substituted azocalixarenes containing chromogenic groups
- 106 Downloads
The synthesis of series of chromogenic di-substituted azocalixarene derivatives is described. A ketone moiety as a different chelating agent is grafted on the lower rim of p-tert-butylcalixarenes. Eight novel azocalixarenes (1–8) are prepared by linking 2-, 3- and 4-nitroaniline, 4-phenylazoaniline, 3- and 4-chloroaniline or 2- and 4-methylaniline to 25,27-diacetonyloxy-26,28-dihydroxy-11,23-di-(tert-butyl)calixarene through a diazo-coupling reaction, and characterized by UV–Vis, FT-IR and 1H-NMR spectroscopic techniques and elemental analysis, consecutively. The absorption spectra of the di-substituted azocalixarenes are discussed, according to effect of varying pH and solvent upon the absorption ability of azocalixarenes. The colors of these azocalixarenes are compared with respect to nature of their aromatic rings and substituents there in. Concentration effects on the visible absorption maxima of these compounds are also reported.
KeywordsCalixarene Azocalixarenes Di-substituted Diazo-coupling reaction Solvent effect Substituent effect Absorption spectra
This work was supported in part by a grant from the Scientific Research Projects Council of Pamukkale University (PA.U. BAP, 2003/023). The authors would like to express their thanks to Prof. Alaattin ŞEN for his critical reading of draft manuscript and making many helpful suggestions and corrections.
- 1.Gutsche, C.D.: Calixarenes Revisited: Monographs in Supramolecular Chemistry. The Royal Society of Chemistry, London (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Arnaud-Neu, F., Collins, E.M., Deasy, M., Ferguson, G., Harris, S.J., Kaitner, B., Lough, A.J., McKervey, M.A., Marques, E., Ruhl, B.L., Schwing-Weill, M.J., Sewart, E.M.: Synthesis, X-ray crystal structures, and cation-binding properties of alkyl calixaryl esters and ketones, a new family of macrocyclic molecular receptors. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 11, 8681–8691 (1989)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.McCarrick, M., Wu, B., Harris, S.J., Diamond, D., Barrett, G., McKervey, M.A.: Chromogenic ligands for lithium based on calixarene tetraesters bearing nitrophenol residues. J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, 1963–1968 (1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Chawla, H., Srinivas, K.: Molecular diagnostics: synthesis of new chromogenic calixarenes as potential reagents for detection of amines. J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 2593–2594 (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.(a) Deligöz, H., Ercan, N.: The synthesis of some new derivatives of calixarene containing azo groups. Tetrahedron 58, 2881–2884 (2002); (b) Deligöz, H., Çetişli, H.: The synthesis and properties of some novel azo group containing calix[n]arene derivatives. J. Chem. Res. 10, 427–429 (2001)Google Scholar
- 21.Gutsche, C.D., Iqbal, M.: p-tert-Butylcalixarene. Org Synthesis 68, 234–238 (1990)Google Scholar