Inclusion of molecular iodine into channels of the organic zeolite-like gossypol
- 108 Downloads
Gossypol has been obtained in the zeolite-like form by desolvation of the 1:1 unstable solvate with dichloromethane. It demonstrates a high potential for an uptake of molecular iodine from the environment. In a case of single crystals a stable inclusion compound (gossypol)8·I2, preserving the crystal structure of the zeolite-like form, has been prepared. The iodine molecules occupy large cavities of the channels and are inclined as confirmed by the absence of a strong dichroism. The iodine molecules can be removed with the help of vacuum giving back to the zeolite-like form.
KeywordsGossypol Inclusion compound Iodine Organic zeolite Polymorph Sorption
Investigations have been carried out under the auspices of SCOPES (Switzerland) project 7UZPJ065576 between Uzbek and Swiss partners. We thank the EPSRC (UK) for provision of the diffractometer.
- 2.Baram, N.I., Ismailov, A.I.: Biological activity of gossypol and its derivatives. Khim. Prir. Soedin. 334–349 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Gdaniec, M., Ibragimov, B.T., Talipov, S.A.: Gossypol. In: MacNicol, D.D., Toda, F., Bishop, R. (eds.) Comprahensive Supramolecular Chemistry, Vol. 6. Solid State. Supramolecular Chemistry: Crystal Engineering, Pergamon, pp.117–146 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Ibragimov, B.T., Talipov, S.A.: Supramolecular association gossypol in the crystalline state. Dzurnal Structurnoi Khemii 40, 849–871 (1999) (Russian). J. Struct. Chem., 40(5), 686–704 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Shukurov, S.Sh., Ismailov, A.I., Dzhamalova, G.V.: Production of technical gossypol. Maslo-Zhir. Prom-st, No.2, 17–18 (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Minsker, K.S., Abdullin, M.I., Rakhimov, I.: Inhibition of the thermal and thermooxidative degradation of poly(vinyl chloride) by gossypol. Plast. Massy No. 5, 42–45 (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.Ibragimov, B.T., Talipov, S.A., Nazarov, G.B., Mardanov, R.G., Aripov, T.F., Ismailov, A.I., Sadykov, A.S.: X-ray structure study of gossypol and its derivatives. VI. Structure of the adduct of gossypol with carbon tetrachloride. Khim. Prir. Soedin. 113–115 (1986)Google Scholar
- 12.Ibragimov, B.T., Talipov, S.A., Aripov, T.F.: Inclusion complexes of the natural product gossypol. Recognition by gossypol of halogenomethanes. Structure of the dichloromethane complex of gossypol and single crystal conservation after decomposition. J. Inclusion Phenom. Mol. Recognit. Chem. 17, 317–324 (1994)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Lu, J.Y., Babb, A.M.: A unique eclipsed 2-D coordination polymer with removable iodine molecules in the open-channel structure. Chem. Commun. 1346–1347 (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Sheldrick, G.M.: SHELXL97. Program for the refinement of crystal structures. University of Göttingen, Germany (1997)Google Scholar
- 20.Siemens: XP. Molecular Graphics Program. Version 5.03. Siemens Analytical X-Ray Instruments Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, USA (1994)Google Scholar