Chattering-Free Sliding Mode Altitude Control for a Quad-Rotor Aircraft: Real-Time Application
- 655 Downloads
Nowadays, the chattering problem in sliding mode control is one of the most important points to consider in real-time applications. To address this problem, a real-time robust altitude control scheme is proposed for the efficient performance of a Quad-rotor aircraft system using a continuous sliding mode control. The sensing of altitude measurement sensing is performed by a pressure sensor in order to obtain a robust altitude control of the vehicle in hovering mode both indoor and outdoor. The altitude measurement has the advantage of introducing this state information directly in the closed loop control which should be very useful for achieving robust stabilization of the altitude control. Accordingly, we propose a sliding mode control strategy without chattering. The sliding mode control proposed removes the chattering phenomenon by replacing a sign function with a high-slope saturation function. The control algorithm is derived from the Lyapunov stability theorem. Moreover, we have assumed that the actuators are able to respond quickly and accurately and we have not enforced limits on the control signals for a real-time application. Finally, to verify the satisfactory performance of proposed nonlinear control law, several simulations and experimental results of the Chattering-free sliding mode control for the Quad-rotor aircraft in the presence of bounded disturbances are presented.
KeywordsSliding mode control Chattering reduction Quad-rotor aircraft Embedded control system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arcak, M., Teel, A.R., Kokotovic, P.: Robust nested saturation redesign for systems with input unmodeled dynamics. In: Proceedings American Control Conference, pp. 150–154 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Efe, M.O.: Robust low altitude behavior control of a quadrotor rotorcraft through sliding modes. In: Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Escareno, J., Salazar-Cruz, S., Lozano, R.: Embedded control of a four-rotor UAV. In: Proceedings American Control Conference, pp. 3936–3941 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Hu, Q., Fei, Q., Wu, Q., Geng, Q.: Research and application of nonlinear control techniques for Quadrotor UAV. In: 31st Chinese Control Conference, pp. 706–710 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Khalil, H.K.: Nonlinear Systems. Prentice Hall (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, K.J., Park, J.B., Choi, Y.H.: Chattering Free Sliding Mode Control. In: International Joint Conference SICE-ICASE, pp. 732–735 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Lozano, R. (ed.): Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Embedded Control. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ (2010)Google Scholar