Unmanned Vehicle Controller Design, Evaluation and Implementation: From MATLAB to Printed Circuit Board
- 549 Downloads
A detailed step-by-step approach is presented to optimize, standardize, and automate the process of unmanned vehicle controller design, evaluation, validation and verification, followed by actual hardware controller implementation on the vehicle. The proposed approach follows the standard practice to utilize MATLAB/SIMULINK and related toolboxes as the design framework. Controller design in MATLAB/SIMULINK is followed by automatic conversion from MATLAB to code generation and optimization for particular types of processors using Real-Time Workshop, and C to Assembly language conversion to produce assembly code for a target microcontroller. Considering Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, fixed or rotary wing ones, X-Plane is used to verify, validate and optimize controllers before actual testing on an unmanned vehicle and actual implementation on a chip and printed circuit board. Sample designs demonstrate the applicability of the proposed method.
KeywordsAutopilot Controller design Implementation MATLAB/SIMULINK Microcontroller Unmanned systems Validation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Incorporated, C.C.S.: C Compiler Reference Manual. Brookfield (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Fisher, A.E., Eggert, D.W., Ross, S.M.: Applied C: An Introduction and More. McGraw-Hill, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Walker, I.M., et al.: Simulation for the next generation of civilian airspace integrated UAV platforms. In: Proceedings, AIAA modeling and simulation technologies conference and exhibit. Rhode Island, (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Meyer, A.: X-Plane UDP Reference Manual (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Kreider, L. http://www.flightmotion.com/docs/faa_approval.htm, FAA Approval Document
- 6.Fidelity Flight Simulation Homepage, http://www.flightmotion.com
- 7.Liu, P., Meng, M., Ye, X., Gu, J.: An UDP-based protocol for internet robots. In: Proceedings, 4th World Congress Intelligent Control and Automation. China, June (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Alvis, W., Castillo, C., Castillo-Effen, M.: Small scale helicopter control design. Internal report for the Center for Robot Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR), USF (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Castillo-Effen, M., Valavanis, K.P.: Control of miniature rotorcraft: Linear quadratic methods. Internal report for the Center for Robot Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR), USF (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Castillo, C., Alvis, W., Castillo-Effen, M., Valavanis, K., Moreno, W.: Small scale helicopter analysis and controller design for non-aggressive flights. In: Proceedings IEEE International Conference on SMC, October (2005)Google Scholar