Capacity planning with ant colony optimization for TFT-LCD array manufacturing
- 172 Downloads
Array manufacturing in thin film transistor-liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) production network is characterized as a capital-intensive and capacity-constrained production system with re-entrance and batch operations. Effectively using associated machines through optimal capacity planning and order scheduling decisions is a critical issue for array manufacturing. This study develops a capacity planning system (CPS) for TFT-LCD array manufacturing. CPS uses information including master production schedule, order due date, process routing, processing time, and number of machines. In addition, CPS derives the order release time, estimated machine start and finish time, machine allocation, and order completion time to maximize machine workload, improve lateness, and eliminate setup time. This research also develops ant colony optimization (ACO) to seek the optimal order release schedule to maximize a combination of the above objectives. The preliminary experiments are first applied to identify the optimal tuning parameters of the ACO algorithm. Computational experiments are then conducted to evaluate the significance and the robustness of the proposed algorithm compared with other competitive algorithms by full factorial experimental design.
KeywordsTFT-LCD Array process Order scheduling Capacity planning Ant colony optimization
The research was supported in part by National Science Council of Taiwan, ROC (Contract Nos. NSC 99-2221-E-007-129-MY3, 100-2622-E-007-022-CC2) and Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT) Ltd., Taiwan ROC.
- Chen, J.C., Chen, T.L., Pratama, B.R., & Tu, Q.F. (2013a). Order prioritizing in TFT-LCD array fab using multi-objective genetic algorithm. In Working paper.Google Scholar
- Chen, J. H., & Chen, Y. (2015). New industry creation in less developed countries—The case of the Taiwanese flat panel display industry. Innovation: Management Policy & Practice, 17(2), 250–265.Google Scholar
- Colorni, A., Dorigo, M., & Maniezzo, V., (1991) Distributed optimization by ant colonies. In ECAL’91 European conference on artificial life, pp. 134–142.Google Scholar
- Huang, T. & Yang, J., (2013) TFT LCD industry and market outlook. DIGITIME Research.Google Scholar
- Lee, Z. Y., & Pai, C. C. (2015). Applying improved DEA & VIKOR methods to evaluate the operation performance for world’s major TFT-LCD manufacturers. Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 32(3), 1–33.Google Scholar
- Wang, S. T., Li, M. H., & Lin, W. T. (2011). An analysis of TFT-LCD industry success factors by integrating fdahp and gray sequencing. African Journal of Business Management, 5(27), 11011–11021.Google Scholar