Applying modified NSGA-II for bi-objective supply chain problem
- 618 Downloads
This paper minimizes the value of total cost and bullwhip effect in a supply chain. The objectives have been achieved through developing a new multi-objective formulation for minimizing the total cost and minimizing the bullwhip effect of a two-echelon serial supply chain. A new crossover algorithm for a fuzzy variable and a new mutation algorithm have also been proposed while applying Non-dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm-II (NSGA-II) to the proposed problem. The formulated problem has been simulated by Matlab software and the results of the modified NSGA-II have been compared with those of original NSGA-II. It is found from the results that the modified NSGA-II algorithm performs better than the original NSGA-II algorithm since the minimum values for both total cost and the bullwhip effect are obtained in case of the modified NSGA-II. The formulated bi-objective problem is new to the research community. The minimization of bullwhip effect has never been considered in a multi-objective optimization before. Besides crossover operator applied to the fuzzy variable and the mutation operator are newly introduced operators.
KeywordsSupply chain NSGA-II Fuzzy order Crossover Mutation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-e-hashem, S. M. J., Mirzapour, Malekly. H., & Aryanezhad, M. B. (2011). A multi-objective robust optimization model for multi-product multi-site aggregate production planning in a supply chain under uncertainty. International journal of Production Economics (in press) doi: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.01.027.
- Coello C. A., Lamont G. B., Van Veldhuizen D. A. (2007) Evolutionary algorithms for solving multi-objective problems (2nd ed.). Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Ding, R., Chen, Y., & He, L. (2009). Fuzzy multi-objective programming model for logistics service supplier selection. 2009 Chinese control and decision conference, CCDC 2009, 17–19 June 2009, Guilin, pp. 1527–1531.Google Scholar
- Giarola S., Zamboni A., Bezzo F. (2011) Supply chain design and capacity planning: From first to second generation biofuel systems. Chemical Engineering Transactions 24: 253–258Google Scholar
- Ishibuchi, H., Tsukamoto, N., & Nojima, Y. (2009). Empirical analysis of using weighted sum fitness functions in NSGA-II for many-objective 0/1 knapsack problems. UKSim 2009: 11th international conference on computer modelling and simulation (pp. 71–76), Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Kumar, A., Sharma, D., & Deb, K. (2007). A hybrid multi-objective optimization procedure using PCX based NSGA-II and sequential quadratic programming. 2007 IEEE congress on evolutionary computation, CEC 2007 (pp. 3011–3018), Singapore.Google Scholar
- Lakashminarasimman, N., Baskar, S., Alphones, A., & Iruthayarajan, M. W. (2010). Multiobjective mobile antenna location identification using evolutionary optimization algorithm. 2010 Second international conference on computing, communication and networking technologies. Chettinand, India.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y., Zhou, C., & Ye, W. J. (2005). A fast optimization method of using nondominated sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA-ll) and 1-nearest neighbor (1 NN) classifier for numerical model calibration. IEEE international conference on granular computing. Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- Long, Y., Pan, W., & Haoshen, Z. (2010). A novel diversity preservation strategy based on ranking integration for solving some specific multi-objective problems. 2010 ninth international symposium on distributed computing and applications to business, engineering and science (pp. 97–101), Hong Kong.Google Scholar
- Mansour, M. R., Santos, A. C., London, J. B., Jr., Delbem, A. C. B., & Bretas, N. G. (2010). Node-depth encoding and evolutionary algorithms applied to service restoration in distribution systems. 2010 IEEE power and energy society general meeting (pp. 1–8), Minneapolis, MN.Google Scholar
- Maocai, W., Guangming, D., Hanping, H., & Maocai, W. (2010). Improved NSGA-II algorithm for optimization of constrained functions. 2010 international conference on machine vision and human-machine interface (pp. 673–675). TBD Kaifeng, China.Google Scholar
- Mirakhorli, A., Farahani, M. H., & Ramtin, F. (2009). New approach in supplier selection using linear physical programming. IEEE/INFORMS international conference on service operations, logistics and informatics, SOLI 2009 (pp. 47–51), Chicago, IL, USA.Google Scholar
- Mirakhorli, A. (2010). Multi-objective optimization of reverse logistics network with fuzzy demand and return-product using an interactive fuzzy goal programming approach. 40th international conference on computers and industrial engineering: Soft computing techniques for advanced manufacturing and service systems, CIE40 2010, Awaji Island, Japan.Google Scholar
- Pinto-Varela, T., Barbosa-Póvoa, A. P. F. D., & Novais, A. Q. (2011). Bi-objective optimization approach to the design and planning of supply chains: Economic versus environmental performances. Computers and Chemical Engineering. doi: 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2011.03.009 (in press).
- Sato, M., Aguirre, H. E., & Tanaka, K. (2006). Effects of δ-similar elimination and controlled elitism in the NSGA-II multiobjective evolutionary algorithm. 2006 IEEE congress on evolutionary computation (pp. 1164–1171), Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel, Vancouver, BC, Canada.Google Scholar
- Singh, H. K., Ray, T., Smith, W. (2010) Surrogate assisted simulated annealing (SASA) for constrained multi-objective optimization. IEEE congress on evolutionary computation (pp. 1–8), Barcelona.Google Scholar