Service-oriented architecture for ontologies supporting multi-agent system negotiations in virtual enterprise
- 1.3k Downloads
This paper offers a service-oriented architecture (SOA) for ontology-based multi-agent system (MAS) negotiations in the context of virtual enterprises (VEs). The objective of this paper is fourfold. First, it is to design a SOA which utilizes ontology and MAS to provide a distributed and interoperable environment for automated negotiations in VE. In this architecture, individual ontologies for both the VE initiator and its potential partners are constructed to describe and store resources and service knowledge. Second, a series of semantic ontology matching methods are developed to reach agents’ interoperability during the negotiation process. Third, correspondence-based extended contract net protocol is presented, which provides basic guidelines for agents’ reaching mutual understandings and service negotiation. Last, a fuzzy set theory based knowledge reuse approach is proposed to evaluate the current negotiation behaviors of the VE partners. A walkthrough example is presented to illustrate the methodologies and system architecture proposed in this paper.
KeywordsMulti-agent systems Virtual enterprises Negotiation Ontology Service-oriented architecture
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- Bieberstein N., Bose S., Fiammante M., Jones K., Shah R. (2006) Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business value, planning, and enterprise roadmap. IBM Press, Prentice HallGoogle Scholar
- Bollegala, D., Matsuo, Y., & Ishizuka, M. (2007). Measuring semantic similarity between words using web search engines (pp. 757–766). WWW2007, May 8–12, 2007, Banff, Alberta, Canada.Google Scholar
- Calvanese, D., Giacomo, G. D., & Lenzerini, M. (2002). A framework for ontology integration. The emerging semantic web: Selected papers from the first semantic working symposium (pp. 201–214).Google Scholar
- Camarinha-Mahos L. M., Afsarmanesh H. (1999) The virtual enterprises concept: Infrastructures for virtual enterprise. Kluwer, Boston, MAGoogle Scholar
- Cognitive Science Laboratory, Princeton University. (2006). WordNet a lexical database for the English language. http://wordnet.princeton.edu. Accessed 10 May 2009.
- Dignum, V. (2006). An overview of agents in knowledge management. In Y. Q. Shi (Ed.), LNCS 4369 (pp. 175–189). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- FIPA ACL Message Structure Specification. http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00061/SC00061G.html.
- Haase, P., & Motik, B. (2005). A mapping system for the integration of OWL-DL ontologies. IHIS’05, November 4, 2005, Bremen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Islam, A., & Inkpen, D. (2008). Semantic text similarity using corpus-based word similarity and string similarity. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 2(2), Article 10.Google Scholar
- JADE, http://jade.tilab.com/.
- Laera, L., Blacoe, L., & Tamma, V. (2007). Argumentation over ontology correspondences in MAS. In Proceedings of the sixth international joint conference on autonomous agents and multi-agent systems (AAMAS 2007), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (pp 1293–1300.). International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS), Hawaii, USA. Honolulu:acmGoogle Scholar
- Li L., Wu B.L., Yang Y. et al (2004) An ontology-oriented appraoch for virtual enterprises. In: Yu J.X. (eds) LNCS 3007. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 834–843Google Scholar
- Orgun, B., Dras, M., Cassidy, S., & Nayak, A. (2005). DASMAS-dialogue based automation of semantic interoperability in multi-agent systems. In T. Meyer & M. A. Orgun (Eds.) Proceedings of Australasian ontology workshop, Sydney, Australia. CRPIT, 58 (pp. 75–82). ACS.Google Scholar
- Protégé, Stanford Center for Biomedical Informatics Research, http://protege.stanford.edu.
- Sahami, M., & Heilman, T. D. (2006). A web-based kernel function for measuring the similarity of short text snippets (pp. 377–386). WWW2006, May 23–26, 2006, Edinburgh, ScotlandGoogle Scholar
- Trojahn, C., Quaresma, P., & Vieira, R. (2008). Conjunctive queries for ontology based agent communication in MAS. AAMAS 2008, May 12–16, Estoril, Portual.Google Scholar
- Wu, J. N., & Wang, Y. G. (2007). IAOM: An integrated automatic ontology mapping approach towards knowledge integration. LSMS 2007, Lecture Notes on Computer Science (LNCS), vol. 4688, pp. 502–509.Google Scholar