Linearity Testing of A/D Converters Using Selective Code Measurement
- 127 Downloads
Measurement of integral non-linearity (INL) and differential non-linearity (DNL) of an A/D converter using the histogram method incurs large test time. This test time can be a significant percentage of the total test time, especially for high resolution and low sampling-speed A/D converters. This paper describes a test methodology for measuring the INL and DNL specifications of A/D converters by measuring a subset of the total set of code widths. This methodology is based on the fact that manufacturing variations in the electronic components of an A/D converter affect specific sets of codes in a similar manner. The proposed methodology measures code width parameters across such different sets of codes and estimates the A/D converter transfer function from the resulting information. A novel test generation methodology is presented for measuring the relevant code widths using a piecewise linear ramp that is designed to extract test information accurately from test data in minimal test time. The test procedure has been applied to different A/D converters and test time reduction of more than 75% has been achieved.
KeywordsAnalog–digital conversion Manufacturing test Non-linearity Testing
S. Goyal thanks the Data Conversion System Test Development group of National Semiconductor Corporation, Santa Clara for the providing the tester facility.
- 1.Adamo F et al. (2001) FFT test of A/D converters to determine the integral nonlinearity. In: Proceedings of Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 710–714 MayGoogle Scholar
- 4.Burns M, Roberts GW (2001) An introduction to mixed-signal IC test and measurement. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 423–424Google Scholar
- 9.Jin L, Parthasarathy K, Kuyel T, Chen D, Geiger RL (2003) Linearity testing of precision analog-to-digital converters using stationary non-linear inputs. In: Proc Intl Test Conf, Sept, pp 218–227Google Scholar
- 11.Goyal S, et al. (2005) Test time reduction of successive approximation A/D converters using selective code measurement. In: Proc. Intl. Test Conf, Nov, pp 218–225Google Scholar
- 12.Kuyel T (1999) Linearity testing issues of analog to digital converters. In Proc. International Test Conference, Sept, pp 747–756Google Scholar
- 13.Max S (2001) IEEE Std 1241: Benefits and risks of ADC histogram testing. Proc. Instrum Meas Technol Conf 1:704–709Google Scholar
- 14.Maxim IC (2000) Application note 641, ADC and DAC glossary. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/641, Dec
- 15.Maxim IC (2003) Application note 2085, Histogram testing determines INL and DNL errors. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2085, May
- 17.Michaeli L, Michalko P, Saliga J (2005) ADC testing by decomposition of the error model. Meas Sci Rev 5(Sec. 1):39–42Google Scholar
- 19.Razavi B (1995) Data conversion system design. Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, pp 143–147Google Scholar
- 20.Souders TM, G N Stenbakken (1990) A comprehensive approach for modeling and testing analog and mixed-signal devices. In: Proc. Intl. Test Conf, Sept, pp. 169–176Google Scholar