Oscillator-Based Reconfigurable Sinusoidal Signal Generator for ADC BIST
In order to perform an on-chip test for characterizing both static and transmission parameters of embedded analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), this paper presents an oscillator-based reconfigurable sinusoidal signal generator which can produce both high and low frequency sinusoidal signals by switching the oscillator into different modes. Analog and digital signals can additionally be produced concurrently in both modes to provide not only test stimuli, but also reference responses for the ADC built-in self-test. The generated oscillation signal amplitude and frequency can be easily and precisely controlled by simply setting the oscillator clock frequency and initial condition coefficients. Except for a 1-bit digital-to-analog converter and smoothing filter, this proposed generator is constructed entirely by digital circuits, and hence easily integrates this silicon function and verifies itself before testing the ADCs.
KeywordsReconfigurable oscillator Sinusoidal signal generator Sigma–delta modulator
The authors would greatly like to thank H. W. Lee for his assistance in hardware simulation and implementation of the system. In addition, they would also like to thank Professors K. J. Lee and M. D. Shieh for their helpful comments and encouragement.
- 1.Azais F, Bernard S, Bertrand Y, Renovell M (2000) Towards an ADC BIST scheme using the histogram test technique. Proc IEEE European Test Workshop, pp 53–58, MayGoogle Scholar
- 2.Baker RJ (2002) CMOS Mixed-Signal Circuit Design. IEEE Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Burns M, Roberts GW (2001) An Introduction to Mixed-Signal IC Test and Measurement. Oxford, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Huang JL, Ong CK, Cheng KT (2000) A BIST scheme for on-chip ADC and DAC testing. Proceedings of Design and Automation Conference, Europe, pp 216–220, MarGoogle Scholar
- 8.Lee KJ, Chang SJ, Tzeng RS (2003) A sigma–delta modulation based BIST scheme for A/D converters. Proc IEEE Asia Test Symp 124–127 (Dec)Google Scholar
- 10.Oppenheim AV, Schafer RW (1999) Discrete-time signal processing. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJGoogle Scholar
- 11.Schaumann R, Valkenburg MV (2001) Design of analog filters. Oxford, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ting HW, Liu BD, Chang SJ (2004) A time domain built-in self-test methodology for SNDR and ENOB tests of analog-to-digital converters. Proceedings of the IEEE Asia Test Symposium, pp 52–57, NovGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ting HW, Liu BD, Chang SJ (2004) An on-chip concurrent high frequency analog and digital sinusoidal signal generator. Proceedings of the IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, pp 173–176, DecGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ting HW, Lin CW, Liu BD, Chang SJ (2005) Reconstructive oscillator based sinusoidal signal generator for ADC BIST. Proceedings of the IEEE Asia Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp 65–68, NovGoogle Scholar