Phase shifters are used in conjunction with Linear Feedback Shift Registers and Cellular Automata in order to impose sufficient channel separations on the bit sequences produced by their successive cells. The aim is to reduce structural correlations and/or linear dependencies that are problematic for pseudorandom and pseudoexhaustive built-in test pattern generation (TPG). In this paper we present a synthesis approach that merges the logic of the original TPG mechanism with that of the required phase shifter network and yields a new compact structure that can offer lower area overhead and improved frequency of operation than the existing approach.
KeywordsTest Pattern Generation (TPG) Built-in Self-Test (BIST) phase shifters linear feedback shift registers cellular automata
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Abramovici, M.A. Breuer, and A.D. Friedman, Digital Systems Testing and Testable Design, New York: Computer Science Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.P.H. Bardell, “Calculating the Effects of Linear Dependencies in m–Sequences as Test Stimuli,” IEEE Transactions on CAD/ICAS, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 83–85, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.P.H. Bardell, W.H. McAnney, and J. Savir, Built-in Test for VLSI, New York: Wiley, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Cattell and J.C. Muzio, “Synthesis of One-Dimensional Linear Hybrid Cellular Automata,” IEEE Transactions on CAD/ICAS, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 325–335, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Kagaris, “Built-in TPG with Designed Phaseshifts,” in IEEE VLSI Test Symposium, April 2003, pp. 365–370.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Kagaris, “A Unified Method for Phase Shifter Computation,” ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 157–167, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Mrugalski, J. Rajski, and J. Tyszer, “Comparative Study of CA-based PRPGs and LFSRs with Phase Shifters,” in Proc. VLSI Test Symp., 1999, pp. 236–245.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Mrugalski, J. Rajski, and J. Tyszer, “Cellular Automata–Based Test Pattern Generators with Phase Shifters,” IEEE Transactions on CAD/ICAS, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 878–893, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Rajski, N. Tamarapalli, and J. Tyszer, “Automated Synthesis of Phase Shifters for Built-in Self-Test Applications,” IEEE Transactions on CAD/ICAS, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1175–1188, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.H.S. Stone, Discrete Mathematical Structures and Their Applications, Science Research Associates, Chicago, IL, 1973.Google Scholar