Welfare Sharing Within Households: Identification from Subjective Well-being Data and the Collective Model of Labor Supply
- 190 Downloads
The paper proposed a novel approach to identifying intra-household allocations in households with two decision-makers. We addressed the issue by using the collective model of labor supply. Most empirical studies based on the collective approach were restricted to the identification of the sharing rule guiding individual allocations up to a constant. We suggested using individual welfare satisfaction data as an additional source of identification. An empirical example was given using the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey. The sharing rule was found to be related to the spouses’ wage and age differences and number of children. Sharing varied with the level of household income: In low-income households, sharing was equal; in middle (high) income households men held a slight (strong) advantage.
KeywordsIntra-household inequality Collective model of labor supply Sharing rule Subjective well-being data
- Becker, G. S. (1991). A Treatise on the Family. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Browning, M., Chiappori, P. A., & Weiss, Y. (2014). Economics of the family. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Cherchye, L., De Rock, B., Lewbel, A., & Vermeulen, F. (2012). Sharing rule identification for general collective consumption models. IZA Discussion Paper, No. 6571. Retrieved from http://ftp.iza.org/dp6571.
- Chiappori, P. A., & Meghir, C. (2014). Intrahousehold inequality. NBER Working paper, No. 20191. Retrieved from http://www.nber.org/papers/w20191.
- Clark, A. E. (1996). L’utilité est-elle relative? Analyse à l’aide de données sur les ménages. Economie et Prévision, 121, 151–164. Retrieved from http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/ecop_0249-4744_1995_num_121_5_5769.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elsas, S. (2013). Pooling and sharing income within households: A satisfaction approach. SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research, 587, DIW Berlin. Retrieved from http://www.diw.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=428100.
- Kalugina, E., Radtchenko, N., & Sofer, C. (2007). Une analyse du partage intrafamilial du revenu à partir de données subjectives. Economie et Prévision, 186(5), 101–116. Retrieved from http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/ecop_0249-4744_2008_num_186_5_7855.Google Scholar