Triaxial MEMS accelerometer with screen printed PZT thick film
- 529 Downloads
Piezoelectric thick films have increasing interest due to the potential high sensitivity and actuation force for MEMS sensors and actuators. The screen printing technique is a promising deposition technique for realizing piezoelectric thick films in the thickness range from 10–100 μm. In this work integration of a screen printed piezoelectric PZT thick film with silicon MEMS technology is shown. A high bandwidth triaxial accelerometer has been designed, fabricated and characterized. The voltage sensitivity is 0.31 mV/g in the vertical direction, 0.062 mV/g in the horizontal direction and the first mode resonance frequency is 11 kHz. A Finite Element Method (FEM) model is used to validate the measured sensitivity and resonance frequency. Good agreement between the model and the measurements is seen.
KeywordsScreen printing PZT thick film Piezoelectric effect MEMS device Triaxial accelerometer Fabrication process flow Characterization
This research is a collaboration between “The Department of Micro and Nanotechnology” (DTU Nanotech) and the two companies InSensor A/S and Ferroperm Piezoceramics A/S. It is part of the PiMEMS project which is supported by “The Danish National Advanced Technology Foundation”.
- 4.J.H. Park, T.Y. Kwon, D.S. Yoon, T.S. Kim, Effect of the porosity of PZT thick films on mass sensitivity and resonance force for cantilever type biosensors, in 6th IEEE Sensors Proceeding, (2006), pp. 1219–1222Google Scholar
- 10.L. Wang, R.A. Wolf Jr., Y. Wang, K.K. Deng, L. Zou, R.J. Davis, S. Trolier-McKinstry, Design, fabrication, and measurement of high-sensitivity piezoelectric microelectromechanical systems accelerometers. Journal of MEMS 12(4), 433–439 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.G.H. Gautschi, Piezoelectric Sensorics (Springer, 2002)Google Scholar
- 13.J.C. Robinson, J.M. Rybak, E.R. Saller, Using accelerometers to monitor complex machinery vibration. Sensors 14(6), 36–42 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.D. Lyon, Good vibrations, Electron. World 113(1857), 36–38 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.B. Jaffe, W.R. Cook, H. Jaffe, Piezoelectric Ceramics (Academic Press, London New York, 1971)Google Scholar
- 19.S.P. Timoshenko, J.N. Goodier, Theory of Eleasticity (McGraw-Hill Education, 1970)Google Scholar
- 20.T. Pedersen, C.C. Hindrichsen, R. Lou-Møller, K. Hansen, E.V. Thomsen, Investigation of top/bottom electrode and diffusion barrier layer for PZT thick film MEMS sensors, in 6th IEEE Sensors Proceeding, (2007), pp. 756–759Google Scholar