Structure and dielectric properties of BaTi4O9 thin films for RF-MIM capacitor applications
- 82 Downloads
BaTi4O9 thin films were grown on a Pt/Ti/SiO2/Si substrate using RF magnetron sputtering. A homogeneous BaTi4O9 crystalline phase developed in the films deposited at 550∘C and annealed above 850∘C. When the thickness of the film was reduced, the capacitance density and leakage current density increased. Furthermore, the dielectric constant was observed to decrease with decreasing film thickness. The BaTi4O9 film with a thickness of 62 nm exhibited excellent dielectric and electrical properties, with a capacitance density of 4.612 fF/μm2 and a dissipation factor of 0.26% at 100 kHz. Similar results were also obtained in the RF frequency range (1–6 GHz). A low leakage current density of 1.0 × 10−9 A/cm2 was achieved at ± 2 V, as well as small voltage and temperature coefficients of capacitance of 40.05 ppm/V2 and –92.157 ppm/∘C, respectively, at 100 kHz.
KeywordsBaTi4O9 RF Capacitance density Leakage current density Dissipation factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S.B. Chen, C.H. Lai, A. Chin, J.C. Hsieh, and J. Liu, IEEE MTT-S Digest, 201 (2002).Google Scholar
- 8.S.J. Ding, H. Hu, H.F. Lim, S.J. Kim, X.F. Yu, C. Zhu, B.J. Cho, D. S.H. Chan, S.C. Rustagi, M.B. Yu, A. Chin, and D.L. Kwong, IEEE Elec. Dev. Lett., 23730 (2002).Google Scholar
- 11.T. Negas, G. Yeager, S. Bell, N. Coats, and I. Minis, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 72, 80 (1993).Google Scholar
- 16.B.Y. Jang, Y.H. Jeong, S.J. Lee, S. Nahm, H.J. Sun, and H.J. Lee, J. Eur. Cer. Soc., (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.The International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (2004).Google Scholar