Application of spark plasma sintering for growing dense Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3–35 mol% PbTiO3 single crystal by solid-state crystal growth
- 111 Downloads
This study examined the effect of spark plasma sintering (SPS) on the densification behavior and resulting dielectric and piezoelectric properties of Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3–35 mol% PbTiO3 ceramics with a 5 mol% excess of PbO. Through normal sintering at 1200∘C, the density of the specimen reached only 92% of the theoretical density (TD). However, with the SPS treatment, the density of the PMN-PT ceramics increased to more than 99% of the TD at 900∘C, and maintained over 98% of the TD during subsequent heat-treatment at 1200∘C for 10 h. The increased density of the Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3–35 mol% PbTiO3 ceramics resulted in an improvement in the dielectric and piezoelectric properties. The SPS treatment was also successfully applied to the densification of a PMN-PT single crystal grown on a BaTiO3 seed crystal using a solid-state crystal growth (SSCG) process.
KeywordsSpark plasma sintering PMN-35PT Density Single crystal Solid-state crystal growth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Uchino, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 65, 647 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.S.W. Choi, T.R. Shrout, S.J. Jang, and A.S. Bhalla, Ferroelectrics, 100, 29 (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.T.R. Shrout, Z.P. Chang, N. Kim, and S. Markgraf, Ferroelectrics Letters, 12, 63 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.T. Li, A.M. Scotch, H.M. Chan, M.P. Harmer, S.-E. Park, T.R. Shrout, and J.R. Michael, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 81, 244 (1998).Google Scholar
- 15.Proc. IRE, 49, 1161 (1961).Google Scholar
- 20.B. Jaffe, W.R. Cook, Jr., and H. Jaffe, Piezoelectric Ceramics (Academic Press, London, U.K., 1971), pp. 117.Google Scholar
- 21.P. Papet, J.P. Dougherty, and T.R. Shrout, J. Mater. Res., 5, 2902 (1990).Google Scholar
- 22.T.R. Shrout, U. Kumar, M. Megherhi, N. Yang, and S.-J. Jang, Ferroelectrics, 76, 479 (1987).Google Scholar