Selective Gas Detection of SnO2-TiO2 Gas Sensors
- 530 Downloads
The composite, consisting of two materials with different sensing temperatures, may show the selectivity for a particular gas. In this study, the microstructural and compositional effects on the electrical conductivity and the CO and the H2 gas sensing properties of SnO2-TiO2 composites were examined. SnO2-TiO2 composites in entire (0–100 mol%) composition range were fabricated in the form of porous pellet by sintering at 800∘C for 3 h. The effects of CuO-coating (or doping) on the electrical conductivity and the sensing properties to 200 ppm CO and H2 gases were examined.
With CuO-coating, SnO2-TiO2 composites showed the increased sensitivity to CO gas and a large difference in the sensing temperatures between CO and H2 gases. As a result, CuO-coated SnO2-TiO2 composites showed the selectivity for CO gas between 100∘C and 190∘C and the selectivity for H2 gas between 280∘C and 380∘C.
KeywordsSnO2 TiO2 CuO composite sensitivity selectivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Hauptmann, Sensors; Principles and applications (Prentice Hall, Salisbury, UK, 1991), pp. 115–124.Google Scholar
- N. Yamazoe, Y. Kurokawa, and T. Seiyama, Sensors and Actuators, 4, 283 (1983).Google Scholar
- J.H. Yu and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, 61, 59 (1999).Google Scholar
- J.H. Yu and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, 52, 251 (1998).Google Scholar
- W.J. Moon, J.H. Yu, and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, submitted.Google Scholar
- W.J. Moon, J.H. Yu, and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, 80, 21 (2001).Google Scholar
- J.H. Yu and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, 75, 56 (2001).Google Scholar
- M. Ferroni, M.C. Carotta, V. Guidi, G. Martinelli, F. Ronconi, O. Richard, D. Van Dyck, and J. Van Landuyt, Sensors and Actuators B, 68, 140 (2000).Google Scholar
- M. Radecka, K. Zakrzewska, and M. Rekas, Sensors and Actuators B, 47, 194 (1998).Google Scholar
- M. Pechini, “Method of Preparing Lead and Alkaline-Earth Titanates and Niobates and Coating Method Using the Same to Form Capacitor,” U.S.Pat. No. 3330697, July 11, (1967).Google Scholar
- S.H. Baek, Sensor Handbook, (Seawha, Korea, 1990), pp. 458–464.Google Scholar
- M. Park, T.E. Mitchell, and A.H. Heuer, J. Am. Cer. Soc., 58 43 (1975).Google Scholar
- D. Garcia and D. Speidel, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 53, 322 (1972).Google Scholar
- D.H. Yoon, J.H. Yu, and G.M. Choi, Sensors and Actuators B, 46, 15 (1998).Google Scholar