Scattering of electrons by ionized impurities in semiconductors: quantum-mechanical approach to third body exclusion
- 195 Downloads
As applied to the numerical simulation of electron transport and scattering processes in semiconductors an efficient model describing the scattering of electrons by the ionized impurities is proposed. On the example of GaAs at 77 and 300 K and Si at 300 K the dependencies of low-field electron mobility on the donor impurity concentration in the semiconductors are calculated in the framework of proposed model as well as in the framework of such most frequently used applied models as the Conwel-Weisskopf model and the Brooks-Herring one. After comparing the calculation results with the well-known experimental data it has been ascertained that the best agreement between the theory and experiment is achieved with application of the proposed model.
KeywordsIonized impurity Scattering Electron mobility Monte Carlo simulation
This work was funded by Belarusian State University within the project “Development of physico-mathematical models, algorithms and software for Monte Carlo simulation of submicron SOI MOSFETs” which is the part of Belarusian State Research Program “Electronics and Photonics”, under Grant No. 1.1.03.
- 2.Brooks, H.: Scattering by ionized impurities in semiconductors. Phys. Rev. 83, 879 (1951) Google Scholar
- 5.Ridley, B.K.: Quantum Processes in Semiconductors. Oxford University Press, New York (1999) Google Scholar
- 6.Kopf, Ch., Kaiblinger-Grujin, G., Kosina, H., Selberherr, S.: Reexamination of electron mobility dependence on dopants in GaAs. In: Grünbacher, H. (ed.) Proceedings of 27th European Solid-State Device Research Conference, Stuttgart, pp. 304–307 (1997) Google Scholar
- 14.Ivaschenko, V.M., Mitin, V.V.: Simulation of Kinetic Phenomena in Semiconductors. The Monte Carlo Method. Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1990) (in Rusian) Google Scholar
- 15.Bonch-Bruevich, V.L., Kalashnikov, S.G.: The Physics of Semiconductors. Nauka, Moscow (1990) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 16.Davydov, A.S.: Quantum mechanics. Pergamon, New York (1991) Google Scholar
- 18.Pozdnyakov, D.V., Galenchik, V.O., Borzdov, V.M., Komarov, F.F., Zhevnyak, O.G.: Ionized impurity and surface roughness scattering rates of electrons in semiconductor structures with one-dimensional electron gas and broadened energy levels. Phys. Low-Dimens. Struct. 1, 19–24 (2006) Google Scholar
- 41.Fistul, V.I., Omelyanovskii, E.M., Pelevin, O.V., Ufimtsev, V.B.: Influence of impurity individuality on impurity scattering and polytropy in gallium arsenide. Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater. 2, 657–658 (1966) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 42.Bohm, D.: Quantum Theory. Dover, New York (1989) Google Scholar