Self-consistent quantum transport theory: Applications and assessment of approximate models
- 166 Downloads
We have implemented a fully self-consistent non-equilibrium Green’s function approach for vertical quantum transport in open quantum devices with contacts and study theoretically quantum well heterostructures, resonant tunneling diodes and quantum cascade laser structures in this formalism. We systematically investigate the role and consequences of several widely used approximations such as decoupling the equations for the scattering states and their occupation, neglect of inelastic scattering, and neglect of nonlocal scattering self-energies.
KeywordsQuantum transport NEGF Resonant tunneling diode Quantum cascade laser structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Datta, S.: Electronic Transport in Mesoscopic Systems. Cambridge University Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Ferry, D.K., Goodnick, S.M.: Transport in Nanostructures. Cambridge University Press (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Schäfer, W., Wegener, M.: Semiconductor Optics and Transport Phenomena. Springer (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Klimeck, G., Lake, R., Fernando, C.L., Bowen, R.C., Blanks, D., Leng, M., Moise, T., Kao Y.C., Frensley, W.R.: Numerical approximations for polar optical phonon scattering in resonant tunneling diodes. In: Ismail, K., Bandyopadhyay, S., Leburton, J.P. (eds.) Quantum Devices and Circuits. Imperial Press, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Laux, S.E., Kumar, A., Fischetti, M.V.: Analysis of quantum ballistic electron transport in ultrasmall silicon devices including space-charge and geometric effects. J. Appl. Phys. 95, 5545 (2004)Google Scholar