Retrieval and in vitro maturation of human oocytes from ovaries removed during surgery for endometrial carcinoma: a novel strategy for human oocyte research
- 221 Downloads
To collect human oocytes from ovaries removed as part of surgical treatment for endometrial carcinoma, and to induce in vitro maturation of such oocytes to obtain material for research on human ovarian aging.
Design: Prospective clinical study. Setting: University Hospital. Patients: Eight patients aged 35–44 years with a preoperative diagnosis of Stage I endometrial cancer agreed to participate in this project. Interventions: Surgically removed ovaries were punctured; oocytes were collected from follicular fluid and matured in vitro. Immunofluorescent detection of microtubules and DNA labeling were performed after in vitro maturation. Main Outcome Measures: Number of oocytes collected and their in vitro maturation stage.
In total, 87 oocytes were collected, 11 of which had completed metaphase II. Of the oocytes collected, 75 % were from three patients in their 30s, while the remaining 25 % were from five patients in their 40s. Several stages of oocytes were collected and the detection of microtubule arrangement and chromatin in various stages using fluorescence was possible.
Material for research on human ovarian aging can be obtained from ovaries removed during surgery for endometrial cancer.
KeywordsHuman oocytes In vitro maturation Microtubules
Financial support was provided by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (Y.T.) and the Uehara Memorial Fundation (Y.T.).
- 5.Humphrey MM, Apte SM. The use of minimally invasive surgery for endometrial cancer. Cancer Control : J Moffitt Cancer Center. 2009;16(1):30–7.Google Scholar
- 11.Revel A, Safran A, Benshushan A, Shushan A, Laufer N, Simon A. In vitro maturation and fertilization of oocytes from an intact ovary of a surgically treated patient with endometrial carcinoma: case report. Hum Reprod (Oxford, England). 2004;19(7):1608–11. doi: 10.1093/humrep/deh241.CrossRefGoogle Scholar